About to give up on HTC

Last Updated:

1. cyberlife

cyberlife Member This Topic's Starter

Well this is my second Hero in just over 3 months and now this one is playing up, this time it's the screen freaking out LOL.

Haven't seen any other mention of this so I don't know if anyone else has seen this happen but basically this is what is happening:

The phone becomes slightly unresponsive when typing, the keyboard picks up the keys you're typing but sometimes thinks you've pressed a key in a completely different part of the keyboard. It then starts pressing other keys all by itself - the effect is like you're running your finger over the keyboard all different characters start to appear.

Sliding left or right from the home screen will either not work or will shake back and forth even though nothing is touching the screen. The call end button still works but after pressing home you might not be able to slide the screen down to unlock it.

After a full reset back to factory default, no new apps installed, the whole thing just starts again after a little while.

Someone restore my faith in this because otherwise amazon will take it back for a full refund and i'll be getting something non HTC

Advertisement
  2. TheBrit

TheBrit Well-Known Member

Never had any problems like that and I've had lots of HTC phones. My Hero is just fine.

3. cyberlife

Yeah, I work with someone who has one and not had a problem. I guess I've been unlucky but there are only so many times you can keep sending phones back before you say, enough is enough

4. alinver

alinver Well-Known Member

It does sound like you've been very very unlucky. If it was me I'd be tempted to send the phone back, buy another make of phone and say that's that, but if you enjoyed the phone when it was working it might be worth giving them another chance. Only you can decide.

Have you written to HTC and asked them? They do say third times a charm.

Let us know how you get on, cheers
    Al

5. Bunjiweb

Bunjiweb Well-Known Member

Sounds incredibly unlucky to me. So far this has been far more reliable than any other smartphone i've had, and also any Sony Ericsson dumb-phone i've owned....

Ben

6. eztuxer

eztuxer Member

Your typing problem might come from (T9) or auto completion function wich tends to print the suggestion instead of just the letter typed.
    I solve this by hitting the first suggestion (left) which is what I typed, and will turn auto completion OFF.

7. JimR123

JimR123 Well-Known Member

What was the problem with the first one?

As you've had two with problems, it suggests to me that maybe there's something about what you're doing with them, or where they've been that might be causing the problems.

For example, if it gets too cold at any time, it could have a long term effect on the touch screen behaviour.

Do they get a lot of dust on them or anything?

Do you keep it in a case, and if so, what type?

8. cyberlife

The first one randomly turned itself off requiring the battery to be pulled out to restart, something which other users here have noticed.

The current issue has now been acknowledged by HTC to be the 'touch screen issue' and so it is going back to amazon for a refund.

9. Jaffa

Jaffa Well-Known Member

I'd say stick with it, sounds like you have had a run of bad luck, you will struggle to match this phone.

10. Arthur Hucksake

Arthur Hucksake Well-Known Member

Sounds daft, but did you ever calibrate the screen from settings?

11. alinver

alinver Well-Known Member

12. Arthur Hucksake

Arthur Hucksake Well-Known Member

The Legend looks amazing, trouble is I don't think ill be able to use my enormous batteries due to the chasis design. :(

13. cyberlife

Yeah, one of the first things I tried lol

14. cyberlife

The thought had crossed my mind :) and as they're preselling on ebay for