• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

About to go over the 5GB unlimited data plan, what now?

lol this is obviously a "DUDES FORUM"
but it was a good read for some laughs
9326-bigthumbnail.jpg

Upvote 0
Does verizon really know if you've been using teather or not? like pdanet? And what happens if you go over 5 gigs while teathered?...this is my first and only month I've done this..I just moved to a new place, But getting real internet next week..Will they even notice if one month is a little high on the data? or does it take months and months of 5+ gig usage for them to perk there heads?

Upvote 0
Does verizon really know if you've been using teather or not? like pdanet? And what happens if you go over 5 gigs while teathered?...this is my first and only month I've done this..I just moved to a new place, But getting real internet next week..Will they even notice if one month is a little high on the data? or does it take months and months of 5+ gig usage for them to perk there heads?

Technically it's very easy for them to tell if you're Tethering. Browser tags are easy to read....

Will they look? Only if you give them a reason to, like if you're over month after month....

Upvote 0
LoL, I just checked my data usage and I have used only 127 MB this month.

The verizon 5GB cap does apply to the droid. Its in my new agreement I signed when I bought the phone...

There is also a PC world article about the 5gb cap for smartphone dataplans on verizon...

Not anymore, it is now truly unlimited.

Here's the deal guys, and an explanation to all the confusion. About a month or so ago, the "Unlimited" data plan offered by Verizon for $29.99/month was limited to 5 GB/month. I know what you're thinking, "An unlimited plan that is limited to 5 GB?". I thought it was absurd as well, but that's what the fine print said. Many new Verizon customers read as they ordered their new Droids and saw the data plan they would be paying for. Now at some point, Verizon decided to change this, and it now is truly UNLIMITED. I actually went to the Verizon website, and acted like I was a new customer interested in buying phones and starting up vzw service. When I got to the part where I order data plans for the smartphones, I read the details for the unlimited data plan. The part that was previously there about it being limited to 5 GB, was no longer there. I was surprised, because I remember very clearly when I ordered it, it did say that, which shocked me to begin with. Anyways, it seems Verizon has changed it's policy on this.

Upvote 0
Well that explains my confusion. When I signed up in November of last year I signed up for unlimited and the Verizon person stressed that it was truly unlimited so I just moved on from there. My account has always said data was unlimited. No qualifiers. No cap. Hm. Of course I have never even gone over 1G in a month either so it is a moot point. :D But thanks for clarifying.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones