• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help About to Leave Apple Go Android Help

Hi All

I have been using Apple products now for about 2 1/2 Years iPad 2 & iPhone 4s .... I am NOT a Fan boy of any type I just want the tools I use to allow me to do my job better I don't care what brand they are as long as they work.

Now the problem is in my work I need to send lots of emails with lots of files attached its 85% of what I do the rest of the apps games, videos etc are secondary and heres the problem with Apple They make it Soooooo hard to do this for instance

If I want to reply to an email and attach a PDF price list and a jpeg picture of say a product I cannot do it It's just NUTS I have to screw around with Goodreader etc etc

Also I want to store images and files in folders how I WANT them and again I cant do this they are pushing me to iCloud (more money) I've had enough time for change...

So my questions below are

1. The current model Asus Transformer Prime is available but it has Honeycomb on it how do you / how hard is it to upgrade to ICS ?
  2. With the email app can I attach multipl files from folders to emails and send them (critical)
  3. Drop Box - Does it download drop box files and sunc them with the Tablet?
  4. I notice with the Asus it has a track pad on the keyboard does this mean it uses a mouse if you wanted too?
  5. Can I just plug the tablet into the PC and drag and drop files into folders with it?
Thanks....

see responses in blue below

So my questions below are

1. The current model Asus Transformer Prime is available but it has Honeycomb on it how do you / how hard is it to upgrade to ICS ? charge the prime after you get it, check for updates in the about tablet in settings, download and install. that easy. some have had issues with some of the updates, others have not. i've not had any issues, except for some bands across the screen which was fixed with the next update.
  2. With the email app can I attach multipl files from folders to emails and send them (critical) yes, and if you don't like the email app, you can always get a different email app from the market.
  3. Drop Box - Does it download drop box files and sunc them with the Tablet? i don't sync with any of the cloud type services, so you will need to ask others
  4. I notice with the Asus it has a track pad on the keyboard does this mean it uses a mouse if you wanted too? yes, you can
  5. Can I just plug the tablet into the PC and drag and drop files into folders with it? yes, but you will need to install the drivers for the tablet on your pc, which can be found on the asus website.
Thanks....

Reactions: Paul789
Upvote 0
Thanks for those answers sorry if they sound dumb but never used Android before .....

The only dumb question here is the one not asked:). Looks like you have most of your questions answered, I'll try to verify your drobox question. I know it is used by many here, just not sure if you can attach files to an email from it. Let me dig a little and I'll get back to you.

Upvote 0
Thanks for those answers sorry if they sound dumb but never used Android before .....

As the moose on my desk says: "Dont' be afraid to ask dumb questions. They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes." :)

You're doing the right thing by coming here to ask questions. I think you will enjoy the Android experience. Your questions have pretty much been answered but I'll add as well.

1. Upgrading to ICS is quite easy. It's done OTA and through the tablet settings as was already explained. I'm not sure if the newer batch of Primes comes with Honeycomb installed or if they are now coming with ICS already installed.
2. You have more than one way to attach files to email. You can do so by selecting the files on the file manager and then selecting "share." The tablet will give you different options on how you want to share the file. Or you can just attach them by starting the email app. Either way, you have you can do so with relative ease. Also, if you want a different email app you can certainly get one in the Market.
3. I use DropBox and I sync files no problem. In fact, I use DropBox across computers, my phone, and my tablet. It is very convenient!
4. You can attach a mouse and it will work. I understand you can even attach a USB hub (I haven't tried it) and get more than one USB device. The dock is superb and when you need to type long text, it really makes a difference.
5. File management on Android is just like file management on Windows, pretty much. You drag and drop files. Under Windows 7 the drivers installed automatically for me. Just be aware that the file transfers may be slow but they it does work.

Good luck! It'll be great to hear what you think once you get the Prime.

Reactions: Unforgiven
Upvote 0
Even better, use Dropsync (free for one folder) to sync files locally on the Prime. I have a "Documents" folder in my Dropbox that Dropsync keeps in sync. That means that I can access those files through the standard file system and they're accessible even when I'm offline.

Oh, and I'll add: I could never switch to iOS for this one reason alone. It's incredible that people accept such difficulties in something as simple as working with files.

Upvote 0
Here's another one...

I use Zimbra for email and have it set up on the iPhone it syncs contacts, email, Callander etc but heres a couple of things that bug me on the iPhone / iPad

1: with my folders on the iPhone in email it does not let me collapse them ie if I have 150 folders with sub folders they are all expanded so if I have an email I want to file in a folder called "weather" I have to scroll down 100 folders to get to it instead of being able to open the older tree and working my way down

2: when syncing mail with my zimbra account (similar to exchange) on the iPhone there is no option to download all mail ie it will only let me go ack a month is it the same on android?

3 can you create mail folders on the android that then appear on the server and other devices synced with my zimbra (exchange) account

Upvote 0
Absolutley stunning replies !! I ordered the prime it's here tomorrow...

I'm sure I will have more questions but just based on this answers it looks like my life is going to get a whole lot easier ... Wife will be getting a 2nd and iPad later in the week :)

Stick around here, you'll see that we're all friendly and helpful. I'll get on your next set of questions soon (I'm currently working on another curious problem for another user).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones