About to lose root virginity....but have 1 question.

Last Updated:

1. Kobe

Kobe Member This Topic's Starter

Please dont flame me....

I am 99.9% ready to root but my one last question should have been the first question I should have asked. How do you actually brick your droid? Does anyone know if its a random thing like that happens on a freak occurance, or do you have to do something wrong. I am not really worried about bricking, but the chance that it could happen kind of intimidates me. Thanks, I may root tonight!

TEAM DROID!

Advertisement
  2. Telexen

Telexen Well-Known Member

With these phones you pretty much have to have a bad flash of the recovery (SPFlash). If all you are doing is flashing ROMs then it shouldn't ever be a problem since you can always boot to recovery.

I always worry about it too since I once bricked a Motorola RIZR Z3 just trying to change the icons...I couldn't ever figure out how it wouldn't boot at all (just white screen)...nothing worked - not even setting up a test point.

3. VIO

VIO Well-Known Member

you would need to unplug your phone during an RSD Lite flash and even then it's not a sure thing, but if you were trying to Brick a phone that would be the way to do it.

Even that is not the same thing as a "failed" RSD flash, which is when your phone goes through the steps fine, you don't unplug it and it doesn't run out of battery, but for what ever reason RSD says it "fails". That shouldn't brick your phone tho you may need to let it sit for a bit.

Bricking is not random (if it is random it is indicative of faulty hardware rather then user). It happens because you seriously screw up. I have yet to see anyone on these forums actually brick their DROID. Its a very hearty phone, very hard to brick.

It is possible to have a bad ROM flash or install a nasty kernal, but as long as you can get to Recovery or the Bootloader you will be able to fix your phone.

4. droidpcguru

droidpcguru Well-Known Member

Bricking the Droid would basically require erasing or corrupting the bootloader, which is the devices absolute fail-safe. I'm not even sure that RSD reflashes the bootloader, or if it is possibly hard programmed(physical ROM) into the device. A failed RSD flash should just mean starting from scratch and trying again with RSD.

Either way, chances of bricking are very slim to none, short of an actual hardware failure(Non-working buttons/ fried CPU from overheating*also never happened yet*, etc.).

Also, probably wrong thing to say, but if the device is bricked, just yell warranty and get a new one, as not even Big red or Moto will be able to tell what has been done to it.

5. CardinalFan22

CardinalFan22 Active Member

This is what i like to see on these forums :) the question has been repeated but you guys help this guy out without complainglike so many other people do on these forums;) just thought i would share that with you and good luck with your root man :)

6. Kobe

Kobe Member This Topic's Starter

Yes thank you all for the help. I know its a simple process, but until you have done it us newbies are a lil tepid. I am going into this full on now with all the great help! Thanks again!

7. Jareris

Jareris Well-Known Member

I just took the plunge from stock 2.1 to Kangerade's latest Froyo update. I then added a 800mhz kernal. I was suprised how easy it is. Just follow the directions exactly. Rebooting is your friend as well. I've noticed everytime I rebooted it, the phone seemed to perform even better. I'm flying now on Froyo :D

8. Titaniac

Titaniac Well-Known Member

I do have one word of warning: Make sure you have enough battery before you try to flash. While it is unlikely to brick your droid, it will make it very inconvenient. Read here... http://androidforums.com/all-things...e-now-im-stuck-2c-6c-corrupt-code-screen.html . If your battery gets too low, the phone won't let you program, and you can't charge your battery in recovery or bootloader. You will have to get another battery from a friend...

Good luck... and welcome to the addiction....

9. emdmao

emdmao Well-Known Member

Make sure you have plenty of battery life and use the instructions in the stickied thread up top to make sure the sbf recovery file you download isn't corrupted.

Other than that and what everybody else has mentioned, it really is a breeze and barring any hiccups (pc not reading your phone through rsdlite, rsd failing, etc.) it really takes about 10-15 minutes.

10. G.Armour

G.Armour You know you want to. VIP Member

Its almost impossible to brick ur Droid and there is rsd lite and sbf if u do.. actually I don't know if I have ever seen someone totally brick their Droid with no way to go back...

11. riffdex

riffdex Well-Known Member

dont forget to use a rubber