• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root About to pull my hair out.

Kaleb Randleaxe

Android Enthusiast
Mar 19, 2010
Michigan
So I've been trying for the past 3 or so hours, using various methods, to root my 2.2 OTA Droid X. I wiped everything back to "factory," so I am sitting on a clean version of the 2.2 OTA.

For some reason, NONE of the freaking methods have worked to try and get this thing rooted. I've tried several different methods I've read both on here and other sites, ranging from the Droid2 method, to a ADB-less method, to others.

I'm about to give up.

What I wanna know is this: is there a simple update.zip or something that I can use to get on ANY 2.2 (leaked, OTA, ANYTHING) and automatically be rooted and/or deodexed?

This method worked for me a few times.
One Click Droid X Froyo ROOOOT GUI! - Droid X Rooting - AllDroid Public Board - One Click Droid X Froyo ROOOOT GUI! - Droid X Rooting - AllDroid Public Board - AllDroid.org > Home

If that doesn't work, SBF back to 2.1, root 2.1, then upgrade to rooted 2.2 through ROM Manager.
This worked for me. It wasn't the PROCESS that made it work, though. I switched to Windows Media Sync mode, and ADB drivers somehow magically installed themselves correctly.

In any case, thanks!

Upvote 0
This worked for me. It wasn't the PROCESS that made it work, though. I switched to Windows Media Sync mode, and ADB drivers somehow magically installed themselves correctly.

In any case, thanks!

You're welcome. I'm glad I could finally help someone and for once not be the one that needs help :)

AND YES, DO NOT SBF TO 2.1. I forgot you are on the OTA update.
To the above poster, thanks for pointing this out!

Upvote 0
You're welcome. I'm glad I could finally help someone and for once not be the one that needs help :)

AND YES, DO NOT SBF TO 2.1. I forgot you are on the OTA update.
To the above poster, thanks for pointing this out!
Ha, well thanks again!

And yeah, I knew better than to SBF to 2.1. If that was a feasible option, I would have easily been able to do that and then just use TBH to the 2.3.15 leak. Now that my drivers are all sorted out, everything has run smoothly. I'm rooted now, and I'm currently in the process of deodexing. I want to use that Incognito theme!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones