About to pull my hair out.

Last Updated:

1. Kaleb Randleaxe

Kaleb Randleaxe Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I've been trying for the past 3 or so hours, using various methods, to root my 2.2 OTA Droid X. I wiped everything back to "factory," so I am sitting on a clean version of the 2.2 OTA.

For some reason, NONE of the freaking methods have worked to try and get this thing rooted. I've tried several different methods I've read both on here and other sites, ranging from the Droid2 method, to a ADB-less method, to others.

I'm about to give up.

What I wanna know is this: is there a simple update.zip or something that I can use to get on ANY 2.2 (leaked, OTA, ANYTHING) and automatically be rooted and/or deodexed?

Advertisement
  2. budd1983

budd1983 Well-Known Member

I had the same problem until I went on youtube so I could see a hands on step by step. Type in DROID X 2.2 OTA ROOT it worked for me so now I have a rooted phone running a theme!!!

3. Kaleb Randleaxe

I tried that method as well. Followed everything in the beginning to a tee. My computer unfailingly says "Motorola ADB Interface Driver failed to install," so I can't even really begin the process itself. No matter what I do, it seems like I can't get the ADB drivers to work.

4. budd1983

When it says to turn debugging on and put phone in pc mode, change the pc mode to charging mode then it will work i forgot to metion that since that is were i was running into problems D13 told me that on this forum. Let me Know if that works. Good Luck

5. akkkmed

akkkmed Guest

6. budd1983

DO NOT SBF BACK TO 2.1 since you are on the OTA 2.2 or you will brick your phone

7. Dark Matter

Dark Matter Well-Known Member

8. Kaleb Randleaxe

This worked for me. It wasn't the PROCESS that made it work, though. I switched to Windows Media Sync mode, and ADB drivers somehow magically installed themselves correctly.

In any case, thanks!

9. akkkmed

akkkmed Guest

You're welcome. I'm glad I could finally help someone and for once not be the one that needs help :)

AND YES, DO NOT SBF TO 2.1. I forgot you are on the OTA update.
    To the above poster, thanks for pointing this out!

10. budd1983

Yep no problem Im in the same shoes as you I was glad to help since I seem to be always asking questions lol

11. Kaleb Randleaxe

Ha, well thanks again!

And yeah, I knew better than to SBF to 2.1. If that was a feasible option, I would have easily been able to do that and then just use TBH to the 2.3.15 leak. Now that my drivers are all sorted out, everything has run smoothly. I'm rooted now, and I'm currently in the process of deodexing. I want to use that Incognito theme!