• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root About to Root...A few friendly questions :)

irmac

Android Enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Hey guys,
First of all let me say I've learned so much from these forums and I admire how nice everyone is to each other.

I have rooted my Droid Eris in the past and have some previous rooting knowledge but I know every phone is different, especially different carriers. I have a few questions about this phone and if you can only answer one, go ahead and respond, I won't be upset if you can't answer every question :)

1. I know this phone is known for having a locked boot loader, what exactly does that mean and does it matter since we have custom roms already?

2. What are the few best roms? I like a mix of stability, speed, and customization possibilities. My real question is what is the difference between the roms? Do they all have the same base?

3. Does the black menu bar come with every rom? I love it.

4. What is the difference between a deodexed and not deodexed rooted droid X? Advantages and disadvantages?

5. Lastly, I am on the most current OTA and am not exactly sure what steps to follow for rooting. I have both a PC and Mac, just need some instructions. I really don't want to get stuck at the M logo like everyone else is.

Thanks for all the help thus far and thanks in advance for answers to these questions. Shout out to Steven58.

Hey guys,
First of all let me say I've learned so much from these forums and I admire how nice everyone is to each other.

I have rooted my Droid Eris in the past and have some previous rooting knowledge but I know every phone is different, especially different carriers. I have a few questions about this phone and if you can only answer one, go ahead and respond, I won't be upset if you can't answer every question :)

1. I know this phone is known for having a locked boot loader, what exactly does that mean and does it matter since we have custom roms already?

2. What are the few best roms? I like a mix of stability, speed, and customization possibilities. My real question is what is the difference between the roms? Do they all have the same base?

3. Does the black menu bar come with every rom? I love it.

4. What is the difference between a deodexed and not deodexed rooted droid X? Advantages and disadvantages?

5. Lastly, I am on the most current OTA and am not exactly sure what steps to follow for rooting. I have both a PC and Mac, just need some instructions. I really don't want to get stuck at the M logo like everyone else is.

Thanks for all the help thus far and thanks in advance for answers to these questions. Shout out to Steven58.

I heard your shout and here I am! ;)

Ok.. I'll take a shot at this. I'm at work, so I'll leave some questions for other newbie-lovin' forumites.

5) Root with this app: Download z4root 1.3.0 for Android Free - z4root will root your device and enable you to supply system level access to applications that request it. - Softpedia

Install it, then reboot, then root. :) Permanent, no need to mess with temporary. I don't know why they have it even :rolleyes:.

In order to brick-proof yourself, read letter C (unBRICKING) of the following guide. http://androidforums.com/droid-x-al...ing-custom-rom-theme-how-unbrick-droid-x.html

You only use if something bad happens when applying a theme or rom, and you need to restore. I tell folks learn first so they're prepared. :)

4) Odexed and Deodexed. Forget it. Everything is deodexed nowadays, so you needn't worry about it.

3) Black bar only comes with Apex 1.3.1 rom. It comes with all themes, though, so it doesn't matter. You can always get it. :)

2)Steven's recommended Roms: ApeX 1.3.1 is what I recommend for newbies because it's fast and stable..no hassles. I also recommend Fission. It's very stable. There's not enough blur stuff in it for my blood, but that's just me. I've had stability problems with all other roms and can't recommend them for newbies.

1) locked bootloader - eFuse. I have to leave that one for someone else! :)

good luck...lemme know if you need further help!

Upvote 0
Hey guys, after using the z4root method do I need to deodex like it says in: All-One-Guide to Rooting, Deodexing, and Installing a Custom ROM/Theme (And How to Unbrick Droid X) or does it do it automatically now?

Is overclocking worth it? Best overclocking app?

Upvote 0
After you root, you'll need what's called the Bootstrap recovery. You can get it here:

My Brain Hurts: Droid X Recovery (and Droid 2 too!)

It comes in the form of an app that'll flash the recovery for you. Then I recommend getting ROM Manager from the market. You don't need it to flash ROMs but it just makes it a little easier. It has ROMs and themes all in one place. Like Steven58 said, don't worry about Odexed and Deodexed right now, unless you just want the knowledge. In which case someone else will have to chime in.

Upvote 0
How I understand it is most ROMs are already deodexed When you install them so there really is no need to manually deodex

The way I went about rooting is
1. Downloaded/ran Z4
2. Downloaded/ran bootstrapper
3. Downloaded ROM manager
4. Used ROM manager to install Apex
5. Downloaded Nextheme to my sd card
6. Used bootstrap recovery to install theme

Everything is done from you phone no computer required and its all pretty much point and click don't be scared its real easy and even if you mess up you have backups to fix it all no biggie

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones