About to root, I need to ask a few questions.

Last Updated:

1. mkil5

mkil5 New Member This Topic's Starter

Alright, so I am to root my Droid for the first time, I have read some into it, but there was not much reason for me to ever do it, well I believe that now is the time.

First of all, I would like a 2.1 ROM, but I dont want any fancy homescreen and theme by default, just plain Android 2.1. I want a ROM that will allow WiFi tethering, overclocking, and multitouch (atleast pinch to zoom in the browser). I can't think of any root only function that I need, maybe Adobe Flash, but I don't believe it is even available on root is it? I don't have any real desire for Terminal, but I do like apps like AdBlocker.

My questions are, which ROM should I go with to get what I want? I was thinking Bugless Beast, I have heard that this is the best one out, but I am not sure.
    What measures to I take to make sure that my data (apps and settings and contacts) stay so I dont have to redo them? Is this a Nandroid? I thought Nandroid just made a complete copy of the Droid, including the 2.0.1 that I currently have.

Sorry for asking some questions like these, but these are some things that I cannot find a clear answer about.

Thanks a lot for helping me.

Advertisement
  2. Ninthwonder

Ninthwonder Well-Known Member

always do a Nandroid backup before flashing a new ROM..

also I think Chevy and Pete have the best 2.1 ROMs out right now.. I have tried both and both are extremely stable..

3. mkil5

mkil5 New Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the fast response, so will Pete's ROM do all that I want it to do? And what is the difference between Bugless Beast and Bugless Beauty?
    And will I need to run a Nandroid backup before I root? And is it the Nandroid backup that gives me my apps and programs back? If not, how would I go about doing that? Thanks

4. gwlaw99

gwlaw99 Well-Known Member

The main difference is beast can be overclocked.

5. Darkwarrior006

Darkwarrior006 Well-Known Member

download astro file manager before you root and back up your apps to make sure they dont go anywhere. Once you root, do a nandroid back up (which you get to by booting up your phone and holding the X key on the physical keyboard). Once you have your stock backed up, install the rom of your choice. Bugless Beast is really awesome, thats the one i am running. It has all the 2.1 goodies, just it is based of 2.0.1. Just make sure you read up on everything before you do it.

6. shrink57

shrink57 Well-Known Member

In the worst case scenario, the market will remember all your paid apps. You can always get them back (without data).

7. mhome

mhome Well-Known Member

Once you root and install the SPrecovery console make sure you creat a Nandroid backup before you do anything, do an advanced backup and check all the boxes, you'll know what I mean when you have the interface up.

You say you would like a 2.1 ROM, but everything you list can be accomplished with a 2.0.1 ROM, and in my opinion the 2.0.1 ROM's are a little more refined. You'll note on Pete's thread for bugless ROM"s he has a 2.1 Bugless Beast and a 2.0.1 Bugless beast. Either can do all the things you list, but 2.0.1 has been around a little longer so it has more of the bugs worked out.(autobrightness, softkey timeout, a few other things). Basically his beast and beauty are the same now, because beast comes by default clocked to 550MHz and you have to install an optional kernal to overclock.

If you go with his BB V1.1 you can do the udpate.zip method and it's a safe bet you'll have all your apps and data preserved.

8. Crazy_J

Crazy_J Well-Known Member

Custom ROMS are all about personal preference. Check out alldroid.org read the threads on the different ROMS, try out the ones that sound the best to you. Research and trying different ROMS is the best way to find the best one for you. Just make sure you do a full nandroid back up before you flash your first ROM, that way you have something to go back to if you don't like the ROM.

9. magdelaine

magdelaine Well-Known Member

I'm about to root my droid, too. Does anyone recommend clearing or formatting the sd card first? Is there any other way of "starting clean"?

10. magdelaine

magdelaine Well-Known Member

Rooting my Droid took 5 minutes, literally. Already running smoother. I'm off to get Bugless Beast!
    :D

I figured I'd wait on cleaning up the SD card.

11. ccousinsjr

ccousinsjr Well-Known Member

For what you want, you would need Beast. Beauty doesn't include wifi tether or oc'ing. Plus, if you want as stock as 2.1 gets, I would install the patcher too. It's not going to be like 2.1 on the nexus one unless you want to use the buggy launcher2. the patcher will get it looking close to stock though.

12. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

No, b/c your apps are not stored there, but thing slike settings, music, videos, camera phots, etc. are

If you format all those things will be gone.

I personally like leaving the settings there - for example, many of the apps I use store their settings on the SDCard - so, after installing them on a clean ROM install, the settings are also auto-magically restored.

However, it is entirely up to you if you want to format the SDCard as well.