About to take the plunge, got some questions

Last Updated:

1. DougieFresh

DougieFresh Member This Topic's Starter

Im looking to get my first android phone on the verizon network, ive done a bunch of research but i still have some questions.

The phones im thinking off are the DX, D2, Inc, and Fascinate

I will primarily use my phone for texting, apps, email, internet (with a high priority for flash so i can stream videos and radio) and im still unsure of which is the right fit. Ive tested them all in the verizon store, but cant really judge properly because the 3g network there was terrible.

My biggest concern is getting a phone that still has a lot of life to give and not one near the end of its time, and to be honest im not sure which ones are. With Gingerbread supposedly around the corner id like my phone to be able to not only be eligible for the upgrade but also be able to handle it.

Also, these new 2ghz phones that are rumored to be coming out later this year or early next year, are these likely to be Verizons 4G phones that will probably carry an extra monthly fee?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement
  2. faugusztin

faugusztin Well-Known Member

"lot of life to give" => you don't want new Motorolas, with their locked bootloader. HTC phones live even after they are not supported by manufacturer anymore (for example Cyanogenmod 6 even for such old device as G1), there won't be such thing for Motorola phones with signed bootloader - we are 9 months since launch of first Moto phone with locked bootloader (Milestone), no solution for it except custom UI on top of existing 2.1 kernel. So if Moto will stop providing support in 1 year after launch of DX/D2, then that's it, you are done, that version is last you will get on it.

3. DougieFresh

Im not sure what a bootloader is. So your saying buying a droid would with by risky because i'll probably have to purchase another phone within a year because i might lose support on mine? Does that mean they'll just stop upgrading or my phone will just stop working?

4. faugusztin

They will stop upgrading.

When you turn your phone on, after basic initialization the hardware loads the bootloader, which then loads the Linux kernel included in your Android ROM, which then loads the rest of the system. In case of newer Motorola phones (except the Droid 1) the bootloader is signed by Motorola keys (so you can't replace it) and it requires the kernel it loads to be also signed by Motorola keys (so you can't replace it unless you have the Motorola keys).

Long story short - you can use only the kernels provided by Motorola in their official ROMs/updates. What does this mean ? If for example last version of Android provided for Droid X will be 3.0, and then Google releases 3.1, 3.2, but not Motorola - then you will be stuck with kernel from 3.0, even if you "transplant" application and UI changes from 3.1, 3.2 to your 3.0 base.

For example Milestone was released at the end of 2009 with 2.0. In meantime we got 2.0.1 in March 2010, then 2.1 in April 2010, they finally fixed the buggy 2.1 in September 2010 and they will provide a 2.2 update in December 2010/January 2011. And that's it, updates in future cannot be expected, when they had hard time deciding if they will give us 2.2 at all. When 3.0 will be released by Google, there won't be such thing on Motorola Milestone.

5. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

Hello Dougie and welcome to the forum.

When you pick a phone it has to be one that will work for you right now and offer room to grow in the future. There will always be a new phone just over the horizon and worrying about having the latest and greatest can get very expensive. Your best move is to tryout the phones (at a store with good coverage) and see which works best for you.

As far as "life to give" Android offers the option to root your phone (Does void the warranty). This can open your phone up to new software and possibly newer OS versions. As an example, I am currently using an HTC Droid Eris that is running Froyo (2.2) and it runs really well. The Eris is never supposed to see Froyo as the phone has been discontinued. All phones reach end of life, but root allows the phone to live on with newer OSs.

Get something you like and will enjoy using. If you are signing a 2 year contract, you will be with it for a while.

6. DougieFresh

I totally understand there will always be new and better things coming out. But if Gingerbread is right around the corner, and possibly the new generation of smartphones, i dont really see a point in buying something that only has the capacity to upgrade maybe once more compared to several more times.

Im guessing the new generation of phones with the 2ghz processors will probably be 4g phones and be out of my price range and are releasing later than im willing to wait. So lets say i buy an DX and it is not offered the 3.0, since it has the minimum requirements for it, i could still root my phone and upgrade to it?

7. faugusztin

You talk about products being launched Q4/2011,H1/2012 here :).

8. DougieFresh

Oh, well if thats the case than i guess there is still a lot of life in these androids:eek:

so i cant root a current Moto Droid right?

9. faugusztin

You can root any Motorola Android phone, but you can't have custom ROM with any of them except the Motorola Droid 1. You can also have custom userland (=you can change anything except the kernel, for example running 2.2 UI on 2.1 kernel).

10. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

You may wish to wait until the holiday season and see what presents itself. There are always new toys coming out around Black Friday and it is typically one of the best times to buy. That doesn't mean that any 2 Ghz phones will be out then, but there may be a few new devices and others may drop in price.

Rooting really can extend the life of any phone, but it is not something to base a purchase on. As I said, if you don't like the phone then it isn't going to be pleasant either way.

From what I have been reading about Gingerbread though, any of the 1 Ghz processors are supposed to be able to handle it just fine.

11. GeorgeinLA

GeorgeinLA Well-Known Member

Yeah, from what I understand, Android 3.0 will need a 1 Ghz processor, so I believe that all of the phones listed there have that. I don't know that there's any point in trying to look beyond that. I have the D2 and I'm super-happy, but I love having a physical keyboard. The Incredible seems to be a good alternative if you want one without a keyboard but not super-huge. The DX is great for video, camera, etc. I woudn't get the Fascinate due to Bing being the default search engine. Bing sucks.