1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

About to use Titanium Backup for the first time... what do I need to know?

Last Updated:

1. OstrichSaK

OstrichSaK Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Any tips or tricks I should know about before I do anything or just open it and run with it?

Advertisement
  2. flu13

flu13 Well-Known Member

Open it and run with it. It will suggest you click some button that says something like "Fix Problems," and you should do that. I'm also pretty sure you have to have USB Debugging turned on for Titanium to work right, so if you don't have that turned on, do so. Then, just start backing things up.

3. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

You can't screw anything up in the backing up phase, so go for it. It's when you want to restore things, it can get a little hairy. When restoring, you typically don't want to restore the system apps (ones in red). Also, the donate version lets you use "batch" operations, so it's well worth the few bucks ... assuming you haven't paid yet.

4. OstrichSaK

One question I had was on specific apps and where/how it restores them. Does it save current apk file and then restore from that or seek them out on the market for newest version? The reason I ask is there are a select few that I've had to find an old apk because the new version is complete crap. Camera 360 is one of those that was a great free app and then was neutered in order for the dev to sell more premium versions. I was able to source the previous version so this is what I installed and want to keep.

5. flu13

flu13 Well-Known Member

It will store off what you have and restore that.

6. OstrichSaK

Good deal. Thanks!

7. starfarer

starfarer Member

Apart from backup/restore, you can un-install system apps if using alternatives. Easier than adb.

8. bamaredwingsfan

bamaredwingsfan Well-Known Member

If you unistall a system app this way, is there anyway to reinstall it incase it causes problems?

9. flu13

flu13 Well-Known Member

You can see the backed-up and uninstalled apps in Titanium. Just click one one and select to restore it and it will be reinstalled. Be careful, though.