• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

absolut beginer

veselinm

Lurker
Nov 20, 2011
hi everybody,
first to say great forum,
as the title says i'm absolut beginer in the world of android :)
couple of days ago i bought galaxy s...
firmware: 2.2.1
baseband: i9000xxjpy
kernel: 2.6.32.9
root@dell105#1
build: froyo.xwjs8

I have a couple of questions about all of that... I whant to upgrade to 2.3.4, but when using kies it says the latest version is instaled... Will use odin as soon as i get some explanations :)
1. What firmware can go on this phone (are there specific versions that go with the curent or any 2.3.4 can go)
2. What is kernel and does it have to be upgraded to
3. Do i need anything besides the gingerbread firmware to upgrade phone

If anyone could give me answers i would be very thankfull...
sorry if there where mistakes is splelling, english is not my first language :)

thanks in advance..

1. What firmware can go on this phone (are there specific versions that go with the curent or any 2.3.4 can go)

Any firmware which is written for this phone can be flashed into it.

2. What is kernel and does it have to be upgraded to

In any OS, a Kernel is a piece of software mainly acting as a bridge between applications and the actual data processing done at the hardware level. You will probably don't need to use a modified Kernel. The Kernel included in the firmware should be OK for you.

3. Do i need anything besides the gingerbread firmware to upgrade phone

You will need the required Gingerbread firmware + Odin + Samsung drivers + Data cable, and most importantly your phone's Download mode should be working. On some phones the download mode is locked.

Turn off your phone, keep the Home + Vol-Down pressed and then at the same time, press Power button to turn on the phone. If it boots up with a yellow "Downloading" text, then the download mode is active on your phone.

If you have Kies installed on your PC, then you wouldn't need Samsung Android drivers.

Any questions, feel free to ask.

Reactions: veselinm
Upvote 0
Thanks for the answer..
1. How to put driver through kies in the phone (i downloaded this version Kies_2.1.0.11095_121_6)?
2. Do i need to backup something?
3 Does a sim card need to be inside the phone during flashing?
4. Is there anything I should check in phone settings before flashing?
5. Procedure consist of putting phone in download mode, puting PDA, Phone, CSC files in odin, connecting a phone and start? (pit and bootloader files needed?)

sorry for bothering you with all the questions but i'm really clueless..

thanks one more time for the previous answer

Upvote 0
Thanks for the answer..
1. How to put driver through kies in the phone (i downloaded this version Kies_2.1.0.11095_121_6)?
2. Do i need to backup something?
3 Does a sim card need to be inside the phone during flashing?
4. Is there anything I should check in phone settings before flashing?
5. Procedure consist of putting phone in download mode, puting PDA, Phone, CSC files in odin, connecting a phone and start? (pit and bootloader files needed?)

sorry for bothering you with all the questions but i'm really clueless..

thanks one more time for the previous answer

1. When you download kies it come with the drivers
2.You can back up because first time flashes usually wipe
3.Removing the Sim/sd is not required
4.No, Find a rom suited for your phone and your good to go
5. Correct, but don't forget to tick re-partition

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones