Absolute best way to Root when running Stock/OTA Android 2.1?

Last Updated:

1. vr6dubbin

vr6dubbin Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ok so I have a Moto Droid... rooted and all that, this isn't about me though. My brother has a Droid Eris and recently he has been having numerous problems with the OTA 2.1. I don't know if these problems are everyday to you guys but this is what he said:

-Text messages don't get pushed to the phone enough.. he misses a lot
    -Volume bug/glitch every once in a while.. (no sound for anything until reboot, this mainly happens when a call is inbound.. resulting in no voice pickup.)
    -Overall sluggishness when going through screens/menus
    -Facebook "com.htc.bg" glitch - no facebook syncing (very active FB user)
    -Extreme dialer/typing lag

Pretty much, he's fed up with the phone and has literally handed it over to me to fix it. He knows nothing about rooting, but that's what I'm here for. The rooting procedure for this phone seems muchh more difficult than for the Droid.. so if someone could point me into the right direction that would be great.

I'm looking to root, and find the best "stock-ish" rom that is the most stable, and bug free. I've played with his phone recently and I won't lie, the OTA upgrade to 2.1 is terrible!
    I noticed the .apk file for that easy root app? The thread isnt very long so I was skeptical about using it.

Advertisement
  2. iamtooproud

iamtooproud Active Member

The .apk file is easy, but I don't think that I did something right.

I tried the Universal Root for Dummies, and it worked fine. The directions are simple and the visuals are great.

A good ROM to root is the one given in the Root for Dummies, the PlainJane, or Ivan's ROM (which I don't believe incorporates the July OTA, but I could be wrong).

It appears that every ERIS isn't the same when it comes to ROM's and performance.

3. taterdiditoo

taterdiditoo Well-Known Member

I think it's all a matter of preference as to which root method you follow. I did the one-click root method with the .apk file and it worked fine, but the root for dummies seems pretty well put together to make it simpler. If you want to know what goes into rooting, go for a longer route...or just do the one-click method.
    As for ROMs, check out what other people have tried and don't be afraid to try anything. If you don't like it, you can always flash a new ROM. xtrSense/ROM are both pretty stable and close to stock, and I've also heard that PlainJane or Ivan's ROM are great for staying with a stock appearance.
    Good luck!

4. vr6dubbin

vr6dubbin Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I guess i'll try out the 1 click method. It seems to get a lot of praise on xda forums so why not. As for the rom.. I think xtrROM is the one I will be going with. How are you liking it?

5. pavirotten

pavirotten Well-Known Member

I am using xtrROM 3.0.3 and I absolutely love it. It has solved most of the problems I had with the phone. My phone is faster, and I like having Apps2SD installed.

6. taterdiditoo

taterdiditoo Well-Known Member

Never tried xtrROM until the 4.0.6.1 came out, but I love it so far. And I hear the 3.0.3 is even more stable. I came from TaintedTenzo2.1 which is very vanilla based, but it seemed glichy on my phone. This ROM seems to move much more smoothly and there is less lag. xtr makes some great ROMS! Just keep in mind that not every phone is equal, and what works great for one person, may fail for another.