Absolutely sure of succesful unroot for warranty

Last Updated:

1. Wizzie86

Wizzie86 New Member This Topic's Starter

Nov 12, 2010
    My question: How can I be sure that no trace of rooting is left behind on my HTC Hero? The phone still has warranty left.

Modelnumber: HTC Hero
    Firmwareversion: 1.5
    Kernel-version: 2.6.27-8dd6deee, htc-kernel@and18-2 )
    Build number: 2.73.405.5 146733 CL#61267 release-keys
    Softwareversion: 1.0.0.A6288

I got it from some guy on the internet. The phone was rooted back then. Something like VillainRom, with firmware 1.5. So, I installed a *I suppose original* 1.5 HTC ROM, that worked. Then I did the EVO 2.1 update. After a few weeks I installed 1.5 again (because I wanted to try if my problems (a very low volume while calling, for which I'm claiming warranty) would disappear with 1.5.

But... I don't know for sure that the phone has been reverted to its original state. I want to be sure about it, because I don't want to get a repairbill from HTC.

The HTC guy said that it's impossible to go back from 2.1 to 1.5, so the device must have been customized. I replied that I installed the original HTC ROM (of which I'm not sure by the way), but he repeated that you simply cannot *legally* revert from 2.1 to 1.5.

Guys, please help me. How can I make my HTC Hero stocklike, with 1.5 or 2.1?

2. mojo151

mojo151 Member

May 28, 2010
    bolded is a lie, its only impossible if you did the official 2.1 release which yours is not. as for finding out if its still rooted or not can you get into the bootloader by holding down the home key+power when switching on the device?
  3. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

Aug 1, 2009
    The firmware and kernel are stock HTC, no worries there. If you used the official HTC RUU (ROM Upgrade Utility) .exe file from their support site then your handset will be 100% legit. Everything - boot image, recovery, system etc - is overwritten during the flash.

That puts you into the recovery, not the bootloader. To access the bootloader hold BACK while powering on. ;)