AC Adapter for USB Powered Devices Question

1. lanco

lanco Member

I am wondering if all AC Adapter for USB Powered Devices are the same volts etc and can be used universally on any USB device.

In this case I just bought a Emerson EM543 4.3" tablet. The company has an AC wall charger for $15. But I thought I could possibly use the AC Adaptor for USB devices that came from a cheap Asian mp4 player.

Of course I can charge from the tablet to a computer.

There are no specs for this from Emerson and I want to make sure i don't damage my tablet in case the adaptor is not compatible. The tablet uses a micro plug in where the mp4 player uses mini jack.

The AC adaptor plug itself of course is a usb jack.

Advertisement
  2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum Moderator

As a rule, most wall chargers will provide 5 volts and 1 amp of current, but depending on the build, that could fluctuate. Some chargers will go as high as 2 amps and depending on the device, a 1 amp charger might not work reliably. Now, as long as the voltage is within spec, you should be okay. You'd still want to pay attention if you use a charger with higher amperage. It will charge the battery faster and generate more heat in the process. It could be enough to ruin some component or (worst case) cause the battery to catch fire. If you feel excessive heat while charging unplug it immediately and never leave a device charging unattended.
    lanco likes this.
  3. lanco

lanco Member

Thanx for the quick reply. When I tried it the tablet acted really strange like things were locking up. So unless that was just a coincidence I'm thinking it best not to use this particular adaptor and that I'd be better off spending the $15 for the one Emerson has for sale.
  4. jefboyardee

jefboyardee Well-Known Member

As it
  5. gtbarry

gtbarry Well-Known Member

Overall you do not want to use USB hub AC adapters as most will split the voltage evenly among all USB ports (all ports, not only the ones being used). THis will result in slow charging and in some cases - no charging at all.