1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

aCar: The best way to keep track of your car.

Last Updated:

1. T-Keith

T-Keith Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

This is the kind of app that makes having a smart phone worth it. If you're the type who likes keeping track of every tank of gas that goes in your car, Acar has extensive graphs and charts to keep track of mileage and price. If you're bad at keeping track of vehicle maintenance and repairs, it has reminders and you can easily look up your last oil change.

Whenever you fill up your car or perform vehicle maintenance you simply fill out the customizable fields. Your info is available in several forms including charts and statistics, and even csv export. You can also setup reminders for maintenance items, and everything is customizable, from the fields available to the type of repairs you can enter.

I've been using this app to keep track of gas mileage and vehicle maintenance for the last few months and have had few problems. A big change came in 2.0 included a nicer interface and home screen, but does make it a little harder to see the latest gas mileage after you enter a tank. It is free with no ads, but the catch is that you need to donate to enable backups. This means you can try the full app without commiting to paying anything. Backup and restore options are extensive and worth it if you plan on using the app long term. The one problem I did encounter is when my phone, a Droid Eris, was upgraded from Android 1.5 to 2.1; the app force closes when upgrading the OS from 1.5. This is apparently an Android bug and there is not Acar's fault. Fortunately I had a backup I could restore from, so keep this in mind if your phone has 1.5 on it.

Despite the small glitch I give this app a 5 star review, since it is just what I was looking for and works great.

Advertisement
  2. BrotherBloat

BrotherBloat New Member

I just found this review and wanted to say I completely agree. aCar is probably the best car-related app for Android.

3. BookLover

BookLover Well-Known Member

It has built-in reminders, for example, once you check Rotate Tires, it will remind you when you should Rotate Tires again or if you're overdue.

The reminders are based on a table that has default schedules (e.g., 3 months or 3000 miles per oil change) -- that you can change. My car's maintenance manual says I can do oil changes every 3750 miles, so I changed my table to reflect my car's owner's manual specs.

Right now, I'm overdue for tire rotatations, wiper blades, wheel alignments...both by time and by mileage. Yikes! Guess I should schedule that. LOL

4. paulgl26

paulgl26 Active Member

+1 very useful for people that own a car

5. HyperM3

HyperM3 Well-Known Member

This app is one of the best apps Ive ever downloaded and the only app Ive ever paid for to get the pro version.

The only problem Im having with it is transferring my backup files to my new phone(from Nexus to Atrix). The app on the new phone isnt recognizing my backup files on the SD card.