Access Ad-Hoc (ICS) network? Anyone know how?Support

Last Updated:

1. JuniorNA

JuniorNA Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I thing I do hate i that the iPhone can access adhoc or structured wireless networks without any tweaking.
    Unfortunately the Blackberry, and now the Droids are not able to find any ad-hoc networks, which is very annoying. For example, I have ICS setup on my laptop at work, i have a USB wifi dongle plugged into the laptop so that my ipod touch and everyone else's can connect to my shared wifi connection, and they can all access app store, mail, browser, etc. But for some reason, blackberry and droid cannot find any Ad-Hoc networks?

Here is what i have set up (for you non computer tech folks)

Network cable with internet connection plugged into laptop
    Internet Connection Sharing enabled on laptop
    Wireless Network linked to the ICS settings
    My laptop then puts out a public SSID with wep encryption for all the world to see.
    People see the network, ask me for ID, and i give it to them, and now they have internet access through my WIFI dongle, then through my laptop's internet connection.

But since the droid can't find ad-hoc networks, and can only find routers, i cannot do this, which means i can't use wifi at work, which is a bummer.

any ideas ?

Advertisement
  2. mikeal5703

mikeal5703 Member

I have a very similar problem i set up wireless tethering with my phone but the droids that i try to find the network has not been able to i tried on the ally & a Motorola droid
    And from an adhoc network started from my computer it wont pick it up either

3. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Well-Known Member

Android can not see ad-hoc networks. They have to be AP. No way around it. You can change the settings in the tether program to broadcast as an access point, not ad-hoc.

4. wildtouch83

wildtouch83 Well-Known Member

I didn't think it was simply Android...I have successfully connected a Moto Droid 2 to an ad-hoc network. But my DInc can only connect to AP/Infrastructure networks.

5. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Well-Known Member

6. bladutz

bladutz New Member

Hello Guys.
    Try virtual router. Free program - worked fine. Hurray!!!