• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Access filesystem from PC. Simpler way?

My Wife wants to know how to download pictures from her Galaxy Ace 2 to our PC (running Linux, not that that should make any difference here). Compared to my HTC Wildfire, it seems to be a right pallaver.

The mechanism seems to be:
1. Tap Menu->Settings->Wireless and Network
2. Tap USB Utilities
3. Tap Connect storage to PC
4. Plug in the cable
5. Tap Connect USB storage

That's 6 taps! And you need to remember where in the menu system to start.

On my HTC Wildfire (also running Gingerbread) the process is like this:
1. Plug in cable
2. Screen comes up with options including "Mount as a disk drive" and a check-box to 'use as default setting'.

That's 1, very clear and obvious, tap. If I tick the 'Us as default setting option' then the process is:
1. Plug in cable.

That's zero taps!

Is there any way to improve this on the Samsung?

--- Gerald.

Do some research into MTP (media transfer protocol). This is the mode the ace 2 automatically connects in - it allows you to read write files on the sd card/usb memory without needing to unmount it on the phone or even select anything in the on-screen menus. A quick Google search leads me to believe you can make it work in linux, it works terrifically in Windows after downloading the drivers from Samsung.

For photos, have you had a look at photocloud on the play store? It automatically downloads pictures you've taken to services like picasa. I have it set on my phone to automatically upload only on Wi-Fi to save my data allowance. It's absolutely seamless!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones