• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Access Handcent through messaging icon

bugger

Jun 19, 2010
Florida
I heard there is a way to access handcent through your orginal messaging icon on the phone just by hitting the messaging button. When I first downloaded Handcent it asked me something about setting the default, which I didn't. Now for the life of me, I cannot get it to ask me that again so I can set the default to handcent.
I have tried, reinstalling several times but no luck.

Am I missing something?

To get it to ask you again for default go to settings>applications>manage applications. Go to the default messages app and go down to clear defaults. I'm pretty sure though that you will not be able to use the default messaging button to load handcent, only the handcent button will. If its the icon you like, you can use an app like bettercut to change the icon. Below is the stock icon. Just right click and save as.

messages.png

Upvote 0
I don't mind using the handcent shortcut my only complaint is that when i get a sms it doesnt display the unread messages on the icon itself. It does in the notification bar, but not the icon. If i create a widget it does display the unread messages, but it doesn't put the icon itself in the grey box like all the other homescreen icons. I like everything to look the same. I tried using anycut but I have no clue what I am doing with it.
How would you suggest I get a shortcut to display the unread message on the icon?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones