Access Handcent through messaging icon

Last Updated:

1. bugger

bugger Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I heard there is a way to access handcent through your orginal messaging icon on the phone just by hitting the messaging button. When I first downloaded Handcent it asked me something about setting the default, which I didn't. Now for the life of me, I cannot get it to ask me that again so I can set the default to handcent.
    I have tried, reinstalling several times but no luck.

Am I missing something?

Advertisement
  2. AutoSortX

AutoSortX Well-Known Member

hmm i downloaded it yesterday and don't recall ever seeing the default option. I just went to the orignal sms menu and disabled the notifications, then replaced the original sms icon with the Handcent icon on my home screen...after a couple of hours I went back to the original sms app..

I know this didn't answer your question...

3. bugger

yeah i read that some people were getting this notification to set as a default and others weren't. I did but never set it. I have tried numerous uninstalls, and still no success.

Why did you go back to the orginal sms?

4. erb0817

erb0817 Well-Known Member

To get it to ask you again for default go to settings>applications>manage applications. Go to the default messages app and go down to clear defaults. I'm pretty sure though that you will not be able to use the default messaging button to load handcent, only the handcent button will. If its the icon you like, you can use an app like bettercut to change the icon. Below is the stock icon. Just right click and save as.

[​IMG]

5. bugger

I don't mind using the handcent shortcut my only complaint is that when i get a sms it doesnt display the unread messages on the icon itself. It does in the notification bar, but not the icon. If i create a widget it does display the unread messages, but it doesn't put the icon itself in the grey box like all the other homescreen icons. I like everything to look the same. I tried using anycut but I have no clue what I am doing with it.
    How would you suggest I get a shortcut to display the unread message on the icon?

6. erb0817

erb0817 Well-Known Member

Ahh sorry, didn't completely understand. I'm at a loss for that. Pretty sure that function is in the programming which I am far from an expert on.

7. NxJ

NxJ Member

to get the handcent icon to display the unread messages, you have to put the widget on your homescreen.
    just hold your finger on blank part of your screen, click widget, then click Handcent SMS.