• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Access the Cloud from O2

D

Deleted User

I bought my phone cash and stuck my O2 sim card in it. My contract comes with free access to The Cloud wi-fi hotspots but I think I need some sort of app to access it. I tried customer services but the girl said she couldn't help because O2 don't yet sell the Desire. She spoke to the technical department and then came back and told me how to access the wi-fi in my house :rolleyes:

Any suggestions, or do I need to wait until they start to sell the handset? What if I had another handset that they don't plan to sell?!

O2 can't supply me with a username and password but I just found on their site that I SHOULD just be able to enter my phone number once I get within a cloud and it'll let me on: Unlimited Wi-Fi - O2

I had read somewhere else that instead of a username and password they sent an app with settings. That must have been wrong.

I'm going to try it out today.

nx1977 I only just upgraded my contract to include the free bolt on so I haven't used it before. iPhone? BLEURGH!

Upvote 0
O2 can't supply me with a username and password but I just found on their site that I SHOULD just be able to enter my phone number once I get within a cloud and it'll let me on: Unlimited Wi-Fi - O2

I had read somewhere else that instead of a username and password they sent an app with settings. That must have been wrong.

I'm going to try it out today.

nx1977 I only just upgraded my contract to include the free bolt on so I haven't used it before. iPhone? BLEURGH!

Having similar problem First smartphone (Desire). Have a simplicity sim-only contract and just added unlimited data + wifi bolt-on. Bought Desire from amazon.

Tried accessing the cloud wi-fi. Get taken to the landing page, put in my O2 number, and it says I can't add ANOTHER wireless device (as far as I am aware, I have never tried to connect another device to the cloud). Tried to reset my MAC by texting "wifi" to 2121, and have also called o2 to reset it. Still no luck!

Passed onto their technical help team, who have up to 5 days to respond....

On a plus side, the Desire IS now officially available from O2 via their website, so it is now "supported"...

Upvote 0
Having similar problem First smartphone (Desire). Have a simplicity sim-only contract and just added unlimited data + wifi bolt-on. Bought Desire from amazon.

Tried accessing the cloud wi-fi. Get taken to the landing page, put in my O2 number, and it says I can't add ANOTHER wireless device (as far as I am aware, I have never tried to connect another device to the cloud). Tried to reset my MAC by texting "wifi" to 2121, and have also called o2 to reset it. Still no luck!

Passed onto their technical help team, who have up to 5 days to respond....

On a plus side, the Desire IS now officially available from O2 via their website, so it is now "supported"...

I had the same thing today ("can't add another wireless device") when i tried accessing wi-fi cloud.

On o2 contract here, just upgraded to Desire.

Upvote 0
Just got back from my local Wetherspoons(Red Dwarf was very tasty)my phone was delivered on Friday from the O2 online shop.
Connected to The Cloud but had to fill in a registration form,from then on worked OK,seems to be limited to 30 mins at a time.
My wife has an iPhone on Tesco Mobile & we get the same message as a lot of you ie "cannot connect another device" when we try to access The Cloud,BTopenzone is fine.This is because Tesco do not support The Cloud.
I suggest this is not a phone problem but a SIM card issue.
If you have upgraded/changed your phone then this may be the problem,the original unlimited data/WiFi is tied to the oringinal phone.
O2 should be able to transfer the SIM to the new phone.
Desire is better than iPhone.

Upvote 0
Not much further. Have rung O2 a few more times, always going through the same "are you at the wi-fi spot now, try resetting the MAC by texting wifi to 2121...." Still says I can't resgister anymore wireless devices.

Finally got put through to technical support, but they don't know what's wrong. Are sending an e-mail to the Cloud. Who knows when I will hear back?

Anyone successfully using the Cloud with their Desire on O2 in the UK? (In particular, anyone that bought the phone unlocked and is just using O2 simplicity)

Upvote 0
If you've had free wifi on your contract on a previously owned device (e.g. iphone) then your account will still be associated with your iphone, not the Desire.

The MAC is basically the unique handset 'address'.. (like a serial number). The cloud will only let you on, if the handset you access from, has the correct MAC. Which it won't do if you've upgraded, hence 'you cannot add any more phones' message.

So nag on at customer services and tell them you need the MAC address changed from your old phone, to your new one.

Upvote 0
Hiya,

I've tried to access hotspots a couple of times but couldn't.

I've got a monthly contract with O2 and upgraded to a Desire last week with the unlimited wifi bolt on.

Phoned CS/Tech support today though and they said you can only use BTOpenzone if you've got an iPhone!

You should be able to use the Cloud though.

When I said I'd tried but when I entered my mobile number all I got was an error saying you couldn't connect another device, after waiting about 20 mins while they asked someone else the answer was that you need to text wifi to 2121, then wait an hour and then try to access it again and it should work as this resets the MAC.

I might give it another go tomorrow and see if it works, but don't this mean that if you're in a town moving about and have your wifi on it will work on the cloud but if you then go near an openzone spot and it connects to it you can't use it but the Desire will think you have connected rather than swop to mobile internet

So you might as well leave wifi off completely in places where this might happen and just use mobile internet i'm thinking?

Upvote 0
If you've had free wifi on your contract on a previously owned device (e.g. iphone) then your account will still be associated with your iphone, not the Desire.

The MAC is basically the unique handset 'address'.. (like a serial number). The cloud will only let you on, if the handset you access from, has the correct MAC. Which it won't do if you've upgraded, hence 'you cannot add any more phones' message.

So nag on at customer services and tell them you need the MAC address changed from your old phone, to your new one.

If you read the thread you'll see that this has nothing to do with upgrading your phone.

Upvote 0
Monthly contract with O2 (new customer).The Cloud works for me,but when I first accessed it I didn't get the screen where you just put in your mobile number.I had to set up an account,it does not connect automatically I have to hit go online & thats it.
Interestingly I was in a Starbucks yesterday & their BT openzone would not let me connect without putting in a username & password that you use for one of their accounts.My wifes iPhone connected OK though,she can't connect to The Cloud as Tesco Mobile do not support it.She gets the same message as you folks are getting.

Upvote 0
It's still amazing that there isn't a clear statement from O2 about this. From what I have seen I believe that if you have a Desire (or any Wifi capable phone) with the Unlimited WIFI bolt-on, you can only access The Cloud. If you have an iPhone, with the same bolt-on, you can access BOTH The Cloud and BT Openzone.

That's what I am seeing, but would love to see something official from O2 on this matter. Non-iPhone users are paying for the same bolt-on, but are getting shafted by O2 in the process.

Upvote 0
It's still amazing that there isn't a clear statement from O2 about this. From what I have seen I believe that if you have a Desire (or any Wifi capable phone) with the Unlimited WIFI bolt-on, you can only access The Cloud. If you have an iPhone, with the same bolt-on, you can access BOTH The Cloud and BT Openzone.

That's what I am seeing, but would love to see something official from O2 on this matter. Non-iPhone users are paying for the same bolt-on, but are getting shafted by O2 in the process.

Yes, spoke to O2 and they said the the unlimited internet & wifi bolt-on is for the cloud and bt openzone for iphone users, but only the cloud for non-iphone users. I am assuming that there is some funny exclusivity deal they have with the iphone, but i agree it seems daft!

@gav28uk, I still haven't been able to connect with the cloud. Have an o2 simplicity which I have had for ages, and added the bolt-on. Are you on the same or are you on a 18/24 month contract?

Have tried resetting my MAC many times by texting "wifi" to 2121 with no luck. Will try hassling the O2 forums now!

Reactions: nlangsto
Upvote 0
For the record, i'm on a rolling 30 day Simplicity for iPhone sim and have also tried the wifi/2121 text quite a few times.

I think that some of my problems were not knowing about the cloud only availability and trying openzone all the time. It does stink though, we pay for the both of them, we should be able to use them.

Right, need to find where i can get to the cloud and give it another test. :(

Its not really helped by the fact that Cloud coverage (unless you live in Wetherspoons pubs) is crap and Openzone is everywhere.

Will be interested to hear what comes back from the O2 forum.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones