Access the / directory?

Last Updated:

1. DomesDKG

DomesDKG Member This Topic's Starter

I've rooted my phone, but I still can't figure out how to access the / directory from my computer. Specifically, I want to be able to open /system/media/audio/ringtones so I can put new ringtones in there. Is there a good way to do this? I tried copy/pasting with astro file maager, but it won't let me paste into that directory, I assume because I don't have permission.

Advertisement
  2. ArmlessRifleman

ArmlessRifleman Well-Known Member

You cannot modify /system unless you are in recovery. Use unrEVOked painless reflash to install clockwork recovery. Reboot while holding power and volume down and select recovery. Choose partitions menu and select "mount /system". You should then be able to use the "adb push" command from your computer to push the necessary files to /system/media/audio/ringtone. This is the only way to modify anything under /system until NAND is unlocked.

3. elborak

elborak Well-Known Member

Why manually copy ringtones when something like Ringdroid is so easy (and free, and doesn't require root)?

4. DomesDKG

maybe I'm doing something wrong, but when I start up ringdroid all I have are songs from the hero sound suite, and clicking show all audio doesn't help. How do I access the songs in my SD card?

5. jakewill

jakewill Well-Known Member

Rings Extended is also a good app - it lets you select any song you have an use as a ringtone.

jakewill

6. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

If all you're looking to do is get new ringtone options on your phone, make a new folder on your SD card called Ringtones and drop them in there. They will then be available as options in your ringtone selection menu.

7. DomesDKG

Thanks for that simple solution iowabowtech, makes my life easier ^_^
    As for the original problem I was having, I hadn't installed clockwork mod, so I was having trouble getting my phone into recovery reliably to use adb shell. Installing clockwork mod of course fixed this!

8. brian450r

brian450r Member

Is there an easy way to do this w/ notifications too? I'd like to add a few files that I have into my listing of tones. I've used Zedge, but really don't like it.

9. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

Yep. Same routine as above but call the folder Notifications. They'll show up in the notification selection menu thereafter.

10. brian450r

brian450r Member

Thanks, worked great