Access the standard android market and install any app on the HTC Tattoo (WINDOWS)

Last Updated:

1. HyperShadow

HyperShadow New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi everyone - here is a tip for any frustrated Tattoo owners that might want to access the full android market and try out unavailable apps on their market-deprived phone.

The following is intended for Windows users that, like me, have near-to-no experience with linux and have just recently learnt what the letters "SDK" stand for :p

1. Install Android SDK on your PC

2. Have it update a few packages. The ones I chose to install were
    SDK Android Platform 1.6
    Google APIs by Google Inc Android API 4 Revision 2
    USB Driver package Revision 3

3. Create a new AVD: Name it, set the target to Android 1.6. Set a size for the SD card (I chose a few hundred MBs but I'm sure that's excessive for this to work). To play safe I also added every single bit of hardware from the list. (This was my first time messing about with the SDK so I didn't know what to expect)

4. Before starting the AVD, go to control panel, system properties, advanced system settings, environment variables. Create a new variable called ANDROID_SDK_HOME and enter it's value to be the path of your ".android" folder which should have been created in your windows User folder (so the path should be something like "C:\User\yourname\")

5. If you start the AVD now, you will find that there is no android market. To fix that, go to this site and download the ready-made 1.6 image which has android market built-in (Thanks to Kumar Bibek there, incredibly helpful). Simply place the system.img file in the same folder as all the other img files. (The folder is named after the new avd you just created).

6. Start the AVD now, making sure you tick "Wipe user data", otherwise it won't load. You should only have to do this the first time.

7. When the emulator starts for the first time and asks you to open the keyboard, just change the orientation using Ctrl + F11 (thanks clanger9).

8. Access the android market and install "Estrong File Explorer" (other file managers will probably work too).

9. Install any app you would otherwise not have access to on the Tattoo android market. Open the file manager, click the "cog wheel" icon to display a list of installed apps. Long press the app and click "backup".

10. Navigate to your sd card folder where you should find a folder "backups", with the freshly made .apk file residing in it. Long press the .apk file and simply send it by email to yourself.

11. Transfer the .apk file from your PC to a folder on your Tattoo's sd card. (Trying to access the apk through the Tattoo's email application will result in an error). Use a file manager on your Tattoo (again, many to choose from) to run the application and install. Make sure you have ticked "Unknown Sources" first in Application settings!

That's it! Hopefully you'll now be running apps on your Tattoo that are not officially available for the device. In my experience, many apps simply work, although I have come across a few that don't. I used the above technique to get hold of the recently released Digg application, which works fine.

I do realize that there is probably a MUCH simpler way to do this, but I personally couldn't find one (for windows). Any additional tips would obviously be appreciated. Enjoy!

Advertisement
    brandmarked likes this.
  2. DariusJ

DariusJ Member

I've done all the steps below but I can't access the internet with the emulated Android. What I must do?

3. one.zero

one.zero Member

Why not try updating ALL the modules? And in the hardware selection section, did u select all of them?

As for myself, I am stuck on the point where I save the apk files. My file manager doesn't show anything when I browse the device or the SD card. I am using OI File Manager. Suggestions?

4. Intiims

Intiims Member

Thanks for the wonderful post, this is one thing I was missing :)
    may be you could help me with one problem, all seems to work fine, but when I download something from the Market, the downloading does not start. Is "Starting download..." all the time, but It's never starts. Any ideas on what could be the problem?

5. one.zero

one.zero Member

hhhmmm.... u got me there. I'm stuck on how to download the APK after installation.

6. clanger9

clanger9 Member

Tried this on a Mac using the Android SDK (which I already had installed). It seemed to work.

A few hints:
    - Make sure you get the system image from here, otherwise you won't get any network connectivity in the Android emulator.
    - Once you've backed up your .apk to the virtual SD card, just quit the emulator and mount the disk image directly in Mac OS - no need to email it to yourself.
    - You can then copy the .apk down to your Tattoo using ES File Manager.

I used the above process to successfully install Tunes Remote on my Tattoo. Yay! :D

7. brandmarked

brandmarked Well-Known Member

Perfect. Thanks for posting this.

Managed to get hold of an app I've wanted for a couple of months that I couldn't find searching elsewhere (or direct from the dev).

Cheers

Mark

8. clanger9

clanger9 Member

...should have also added:

When the emulator starts for the first time and asks you to open the keyboard, just change the orientation using Ctrl + F11. Details here.

On my MB Pro, the keyboard trick is Fn + Ctrl + F11

You can then register your virtual Android phone with your Google accounts, just like the real thing!

[edit]
    Just noticed that the Android emulator image has voice dial.
    So I installed the Voice Dialer .apk on my Tattoo: WOO! YAY! My Tattoo now has voice dialling! :)

9. symond

symond Well-Known Member

for those who cant see apps after copying them into sd card try restarting ur phone or take out sd card and reinsert and it will be there

it worked for me like that

thanks again for this trick

10. brandmarked

brandmarked Well-Known Member

For Tattoo users, this could be considered essential information. Any Mods around who agree and want to make this a sticky?