• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessing 8GB internal storage from apps on phone?

Redflea

Android Expert
Oct 6, 2009
I can't find a way to access the internal 8GB storage from the phone to put files there, or to open/use files there, for that matter.

I can see it from the PC if I mount the Droid, but can't from the phone itself.

Appreciate any help...please point out the obvious thing that I'm missing. I've tried Astro, Root Explorer, and the Files program that came w/the D2, none of them appear to allow me to access the 8gb storage...

Bump for this. I have roughly 12gb of music that I'd like to sync to my D2, but I can only seem to access the 8gb SD card.

To add a second question to this, what is the best media player to use for syncing with an Android phone? Are there any ways to use the full 16gb of space with a single program?

Upvote 0
OK...gotten some bad news on this via IRC...discussion below:

[10:04] <Redflea> Hey...anyone w/D2 experience here? Trying to access the 8GB internal storage and can't get to it
[10:05] <Redflea> from the phone, I mean...Astro, Root Explorer, Files program don't seem to let me see/do anything to it
[10:06] <Mytos> you wont be able to
[10:06] <Mytos> motorola uses it as an internal apps2sd kinda
[10:06] <Mytos> only apps, data, and cache can be put on it
[10:08] <Redflea> You're kidding me...man, that sucks bigger than a douche
[10:08] <Mytos> yep
[10:08] <Redflea> how about if I have root, can I access/stash stuff there then?
[10:08] <Mytos> not really
[10:09] <Redflea> Mytos: You are not giving me the happy answers I want! ;)
[10:09] <Mytos> you can push apps into it, but thats no different than if you installed em normally
[10:10] <Mytos> essentially its motorolas way of getting past having to use apps2sd and letting them bundle huge apps without overloading system
[10:10] <Mytos> like nfs, blockbuster, kindle etc

So it sounds like the 8GB is not user-accessible. Totally blows, and makes the change to the 8GB card a D2 bit of a rip on D2 owners...luckily I have my 16GB card from my D1.

Bummer...

If anyone has different information and a way to access the 8GB, love to hear it.

Upvote 0
I copied a couple of my music albums over to the internal storage using root explorer. It didn't recognize them at all. But yeah I wish we could use the internal storage for more than apps... On the D1 I was app managing in order to have room to install apps. Now I have like 5GB more space than I could ever need and I can't use it. Would be awesome if you move all the app data on the SDcard to internal. It would free up room for more music on my sd.

Upvote 0
I copied a couple of my music albums over to the internal storage using root explorer. It didn't recognize them at all. But yeah I wish we could use the internal storage for more than apps... On the D1 I was app managing in order to have room to install apps. Now I have like 5GB more space than I could ever need and I can't use it. Would be awesome if you move all the app data on the SDcard to internal. It would free up room for more music on my sd.

So are you rooted? I'm not yet (waiting to confirm this phone is issue free) and don't see the 8GB partition in Root Explorer....how is it represented in the Root Explorer folder listing?

Upvote 0
I just stuck it in /data all that stuff is on the internal 8gb.
There's an sbf out and I know ,from experience, even if the screen goes out you can still flash it.

Thanks...

Yeah, I have the D2 SBF and RSD Lite 4.7 w/patch, etc., and have already confirmed connectivity w/my D2. I'm just lazy...I spent enough time flashing SBFs on my D1 that I'm just tired enough of doing it that I'm not going to root until I'm planning on keeping root. :)

I'll take a look at /data, thanks again.

Upvote 0
to member CC440, i HIGHLY suggest you do some research and locate the .APK for the ported version of MIUI's Music player, its really pretty, looks nicely polished as far as an app goes, and has many nice little features including lyrics.

now then, my question is,

"I have a few apps/games on my phone that MUST be stored to a large piece of storage medium. How can i move these large programs to my internal storage from my sd card, orrrr is it as easy as just moving them to /data/XXX/XXX/, as they would be on my SD card?"

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones