1. Hot New Devices! HTC One M9 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | LG G4

Accessing internal memorySupport

1. maiorita

maiorita New Member

I dropped my Desire in water and although it eventually turned on, half of my buttons (including the power and volume down) are broken. The phone only starts in Safe Mode and I couldn't find a way to start it normally. Since it starts in Safe mode I obviously can't run any applications and I have some important data that is stored in my internal memory. Is there any possible way of accessing in on PC in my case? My phone is rooted but I won't be able to run any apps on it. Any help would be really appreciated.

Advertisement
  2. Hadron

Hadron Well-Known Member Contributor

If you know where the files are, you should be able to copy them over usb to your computer using adb ("adb pull" command). See the adb and fastboot faq, in the Desire All Things Root Guide sticky post (in the Desire All Things Root forum), for info on how to set this up and use it.

There are 2 ways you can do this. If you have usb debugging enabled, or are able to enable it, you can do this while the phone is running android. Otherwise if you can get into recovery you can do it from there.

Internal memory is "/data" on the phone.
  3. maiorita

maiorita New Member

Thanks! Although for some reason the pull command wasn't working I was able to see the content of the data with cat :)
  4. Hadron

Hadron Well-Known Member Contributor

Adb pull not working? You did just "adb pull", not "adb shell pull"? Pull is not a shell command, whereas cat is.

If adb shell cat shows you the files, try" adb shell cp /data/whatever /sdcard/whatever" and see whether you can copy to sd.
  5. maiorita

maiorita New Member

I did adb shell pull but there always seems to be a problem with the location I'm trying to copy it too. It would say not found or directory nonexistent or something weird like that. But then again I'm not super savvy when it comes to coding and such.

Since it was stuff like notes, I just retyped all the contents when they loaded because I gave up trying to copy anything anywhere. Still, at least I got all that back even if it was a little tedious to retype it all.