• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Accidentally cleaned tablet LCD screen with detergent - how harmful is this?

So I was incredibly stupid yesterday. While I was cleaning my room I got distraced and accidentally also cleaned my tablet with a wet microfiber cloth with a bit of detergent on it. How harmful is this to the LCD screen of my tablet? Everything seems to be fine now but I'd like to know exactly how much damage something like detergent does the first time or if it only inflicts damage through continuous use. Also can I expect to see damage in the future or does the fact that everything seems to be fine now indictate that everything is indeed just fine.

My tablet is an Acer Iconia A3 and about a year and a half old.
It's screen is a 10.1 WXGA TFT LCD (1280x800) capacitive multi-touch screen.

Thanks in advance

I do that all the time ... intentionally. I use Windex®, too. On some LCD screens they use an anti-glare coating which can be damaged by detergents, but 1.) it would have to be a much stronger concentration than you used, 2.) You'd have to scrub pretty darn hard, and 3.) your tablet's digitizer is on top of the actual LCD screen which is made from hardened glass and perfectly fine to clean with detergent.

Your bigger risk of damage comes from using too much liquid and having it get under the glass or in one of the button holes.

Upvote 0
I do that all the time ... intentionally. I use Windex®, too. On some LCD screens they use an anti-glare coating which can be damaged by detergents, but 1.) it would have to be a much stronger concentration than you used, 2.) You'd have to scrub pretty darn hard, and 3.) your tablet's digitizer is on top of the actual LCD screen which is made from hardened glass and perfectly fine to clean with detergent.

Your bigger risk of damage comes from using too much liquid and having it get under the glass or in one of the button holes.

Thank you very much for the info. I don't think my tablet has an anti glare coating since you can buy seperate anti glare covers for it.

If liquid did get under the glass or got in through button holes: what issues would I find. And can I still expect them to happen?

Also it took a while for me to realize what I had done so the water and detergent was on my tablet screen for quite a while. Does this make much of a difference or is the concetration too small for that in any case?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones