Accidentally updated...

Last Updated:

1. cartisdm

cartisdm Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Well, I was sitting at my desk and work and saw the "System Update" notification pop up on my phone. I grabbed my phone, stood up, and showed my coworker. Unfortunately, in doing so I accidentally pressed "Update Now."

I had planned to post-pone the update until I got home so I could Unrevoked Forever and S-Off :( It's currently in the middle of installing (little ! icon w/ the Android guy next to it).

I guess I'm going to lose my root....any idea how long I'll have to wait to gain it back?

Advertisement
  2. rcrott1

rcrott1 Well-Known Member

if it hasnt finished, do a battery pull.

3. TazMac

TazMac Active Member

It shouldn't be that long. They already found a way to root the EVO after that update. Took them less than a month if I remember right. It shouldn't take them that long for ours since it is the same mfg.

4. kenshinxl

kenshinxl Member

5. cartisdm

Question

How long is it supposed to sit at that screen? It's been there for one hour now......

Aaaannd battery pull during an install? Seems dangerous :(

EDIT: I pressed (quick press, not a hold) the power button and the Unrevoked GRUB thing showed up immediately. I selected "reboot" and my system is back up as normal. I'm very confused at what happened but maybe I didn't pressed "Update Now" and the update is still pending

EDIT 2: Menu -> Settings -> About Phone -> System Updates = "System is up to date"
    Menu -> Settings -> About Phone -> Software Information = Firmware Version 2.1-update1

????????????????

6. Muerte_X

Muerte_X Well-Known Member

Yeah, I wouldn't recommend a battery pull if it's already past the downloading point. If you pull the battery while it's updating the radio, you will brick it.

I think you need the stock recovery to install the OTA update, but I could be wrong. If that's true, it's probably what saved you from it installing.

7. ACD168

ACD168 Well-Known Member

Yea an hour! mine booted right away.

just downgraded from the RUU and installed teh updated.zip someone pulled! can you say official!

8. cartisdm

That must be what happened. This is a good thing though because I want to be able to go home, do my Unrevoked Forever and S-Off stuff, then update!

Only thing is...how do I get the OTA pushed again when I'm ready?

9. Muerte_X

Muerte_X Well-Known Member

public:forever [RootWiki]

If you get bored, download the file to your phone and do it that way. It's a simple zip file you flash through recovery. Nice and easy. Just make sure you read all the instructions.

I don't think you can do anything on the phone to request the update. It'll probably try again at some point though.

10. ramcharger1979

ramcharger1979 Well-Known Member

What is the difference?

11. jbh00jh

jbh00jh Well-Known Member

No difference , they are identical files , both signed and "official ".
    When you do the RUU it wipes your phone clean (like a factory re-set) before it starts the upgrade , less chance for bugs ,etc. You are installing 2.2 on a clean phone. The OTA doesn't wipe your phone , just overwrites the 2.1 files leaving the apps on the phone . If you have an app that is not upgraded for 2.2 you could have problems later. if I had done the OTA , I would have hard re-set when it finished. :)

12. TokedUp

TokedUp Well-Known Member

Im fiending for the update and some ppl dont want it? WTFLMFAOBBQ!

13. jbh00jh

jbh00jh Well-Known Member

They must live in a different world . LOL :)

14. gorenut

gorenut Well-Known Member

Yea.. totally. Still waiting for mine. I might just download the RUU.

15. cartisdm

I had every intention of being ready for it but I slacked off and didn't do my prep work in time. :(

16. Vaseline Smith

Vaseline Smith Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Well worth it.. Why wait?!

17. ACD168

ACD168 Well-Known Member

The RUU!?? That's old news playa. Downgrade back to 2.1, and do the update.zip that was pulled from the incoming OTA. It's official. Don't even play with the RUU

18. SkyyPayne

SkyyPayne Active Member

I just got my OTA this morning and kept putting it off early this morning partly because I was sleeping and I didn't want to lose root.

Then I was thinking "an easy root will come out even if i'm not rooted now" and argued with myself, finally letting the OTA install.

The phone reset, came up with the little android fella and exclamation point, and stuck there. I was like "NOOOO BRICKED PHONE!!!" came back over and clicked the optical button and thankfully the clockwork recovery came up and I just hit reboot.

Unfortunately enough, like the previous op said, I checked the system version, still 2.1 and it says phone is currently up to date.

Now I'm pissed, because I just want to clean install froyo, don't really want root at this point. And I have no idea on how to get rid of clockwork and root, everything on this forum is jumbled like "how to unroot by downgrading" yet the first post is "my mom likes cabbage, lol roflmao" and I get tired of looking at that :-\ haha

19. BzB

BzB Well-Known Member

how could you downgrade from the ruu when it's the same thing as the update.zip? do you sign your name twice on your checks too? lol

20. ACD168

ACD168 Well-Known Member

if you run the RUU of 2.2 you'll get a clean install, stock recovery - no more clockwork. but if you put your phone to S-OFF (unrevoked), click on unrevoked forever, and check that out, before doing this, you can get root with 2.2. Highly suggest this.

Vaseline Smith likes this.
  21. ACD168

ACD168 Well-Known Member

To compare things. Whats funnier is how you comment on what I do. That's pretty helpful. Give yourself a pat on the back for being a (insert here).

22. SkyyPayne

SkyyPayne Active Member

So If I run the RUU of 2.2, I'll get clean stock 2.2

If I run unrevoked forever, does that give me 2.2 automatically, or do I run that, and then run RUU 2.2?

Thanks! First honestly helpful info i've gotten :)

23. Skorpios1027

Skorpios1027 Frell me dead VIP Member

Unrevoked forever will not give you 2.2. It only turns off the security in the NAND, allowing you to flash custom recoveries (Clockwork) which will allow you to achieve root after you run the RUU 2.2. If you were to do this: unrevoked forever first, then RUU.

24. Vaseline Smith

Vaseline Smith Well-Known Member

I had S-off and a simple RUU install did the trick running my fro-yoz now

25. SkyyPayne

SkyyPayne Active Member

great thanks so much for the help! ill be doing that and report my success or failure later. :)