• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Accidently cleared Media Storage app.

oxyg3n520

Feb 1, 2011
Hi, so today I have accidently pressed "clear data" on the media storage app. and now I have no songs and also the default ringtone and notification ringtones that came with the phone are now gone. I have no tones! Is there a way to fix this, I definitely do not want to restore my phone again because I have already had to do that to my captivate two times before due to hardware problems. If you know a fix please tell me. thanks!

Hello oxyg3n520. Sorry that happened.

Are you sure your songs are gone, or are they just not accessible to you because you cleared data in the media player? Did the player you were using store them in a folder in the device's memory, or on the SD card?

Unless you're willing to individually download your tones, or to use a 3rd party ringtone app, your best bet is to do the thing you don't want to do. ;)

The factory data reset is there for reasons such as yours.

Upvote 0
The free app ScanMedia will also do this (run a media scan) without having to reboot.

Hi, I'm new to this site so I need to get used to the system that this forum uses. So my apologizes if I seem awkward right now.

Anyway, I had googled my question and your answer popped up.

I went to the Android Market to get the app you mentioned and discovered that there are several with about the same name.

Could you please let me know the exact one you are using, possibly the developer's name would be helpful.

I'm sure the others would work just as good, but I wanted to use the app you recommended and be able to Thank that particular developer.

Thanks!

Rob

PS I still need to get my profile setup here!

Upvote 0
I went to media storage also and did the clear data because I lost thumbnails and had unidentifiable pics but when I went back my gallery had only one folder...worse than what I had ..I would of been happy with the stuff I had before media storage data clear.....is powering on and off the same as rebooting ?..in order to get the files back

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones