1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Accuweather WidgetSupport

1. Barberry

Barberry New Member

I have both the 7.0 and the 10.1 versions of the Tab 2. The 10.1 didn't have a weather widget on the home screen, but the 7.0 does. I have searched Google Play, but the stock one doesn't seem to be available. I would like to have the same widget on both devices because it has a dual zone clock and weather. The reason I want this one is that I am in the UK and I have family in California, and it takes the brain work out of the time difference.

If anyone knows of a way to copy the 7.0 widget on to the 10.1, I would be extremely grateful.

Both devices are on Android 4.1.1

Advertisement
    :
  2. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

Welcome to the forums! :)

Are you saying that you can't go to the "my apps" selection in the Play menu and download/install the widget from that list?
  3. jwither

jwither Well-Known Member

Using your favorite file manager (I use File Manager HD), you can copy AccuweatherDaemon.apk from the system/app folder to your other tab. This is only theoretical, as I do not have another tab to test it on.

If it needs other files in order to run, unless you figure out what those files might be, it won't work.

.apk files are install packages, so once you've copied it to the other tab, use the file manager to run/install it.
    Barberry likes this.
  4. Barberry

Barberry New Member

There are two files in system/app, AccuweatherDaemon.apk and AccuweatherDaemon.odex. They both have -r- permissions, which I presume means root. I copied them to the SD card, but it won't install from there. I suspect it needs to be in the system/app file, where all the other .apk files appear to reside.

Thanks for your suggestion, which, it appears, may well work, but I don't feel comfortable rooting a brand new device for fear of bricking it.
  5. Barberry

Barberry New Member

Thanks for the welcome :)

The specific app that I want isn't available in Play :(
  6. jwither

jwither Well-Known Member

The -r- means "read only", in other words, you can't edit and then save the file, but you can run it or copy it. If you see a "d" that means it's a directory (or Folder in today's terms), and "w" means it's writable. There shouldn't be any root requirement for this, so if they don't run, it's something else. Did you enable unknown sources (non google play) in Settings, Security, Unknown Sources?