• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Acer liquid pre-release wagon starts a-rolling and first impression...

I am using my Acer as mediaplayer today at work and its seriously chomping through the battery when using the Music app to play MP3s, the phone is getting quite warm, I'm sure it doesn't need to use so much CPU as other devices manage MP3 just fine.

Also checking what has use Battery it does say that 42% was acer sync and no mention of the music player, maybe all acer software comes under the com.blahblah.acersync banner.

Is there a way to downclock cpu?

Most likely Acer Synch is defective I would think.

Try using a task manager app to see how much cpu it's consuming.

Upvote 0
any one know a good task manager app, got 6 hrs of usage whilst using it as an mp3 player, this is a lot worse than it was for streaming live radio from the net, so something is up with either the music app or the fact that I have last.fm scrobbling my choices from music player, its only used 1Mb of data all day though.

I'll test tomorrow without last.fm on the system to try and nail down what is doing it, reckon the Music app is probably kicking the CPU into too high a power state, perhaps I'll try another Music player/

Upvote 0
something else is killing the battery I hardly used it at all today and was at 10% after 13hours :eek:

the battery manager says camera is taking up 95% of batt but I didn't even open it!

overall today - 10sms, 2 minute calls, 30 mins browsing 3g (wifi OFF, gps OFF, sync off) 10 mins email. rest of day in standby and phone battery still depleted ~6% every hour :(

Upvote 0
yeah defo is or "was" in my case.

when I went into see which apps were using battery yesterday it was:

media (with a pic of a camera beside it) 95%
idle 3%
standby 3%

today is (after reboot & after charging)
standby:37%
android system:24%
idle: 33%
display:6%

these figures seem to be about right. yesterday using 95% was the camera so even on standby the phone was draining.

just used 3% of battery in just under 2hours with some moderate sms texting so hopefully todays test goes better!

Upvote 0
Normal battery drain when not doing a great deal just bluetooth and theodd browse/app DL seems to be in the region of a 1% per hour or there abouts, so from last nights charge I was at 84% after 16hrs which is bang on the 1% per hour, course popped mp3 on and it dropped to 80% in about 15mins :eek: though it did also include some updates and call.

so I decided to track battery life and actually it wasn't too bad, seems last.fm scrobbling might have been my problem, or the Acer Sync, I'm not sure, I reckon the what's using battery thing is inaccurate and sends you on a wild goose chase, I disabled auto syncs but even when auto sync was on the Syncs were not performed as the date/time stamp on the syncs remained the same so I am at of bit of a loss as to what happened

Current drain info running MP3 non stop in work with the odd call/sms
included.

10:15 79%
11:15 73% 6% per hour
12:15 68% 5% per hour

turned the auto sync on at 12:15 to see impact, obviously its not exactly scientific as I can't control calls/sms I get of which I had a few over lunch as well as the obligatory app demos to my friends etc. but gives a good idea to drain.

13:15 57% 11% :eek: don't know if its the sync yet due to usage
lucnhtime, or should I say android playtime. :D
14:15 51% 6% this was an uneventful hour so likely representative
15:15 45% 6% at this point I disabled sync
16:15 Doh working to hard forgot to check
17:20 34% almost missed it again 5.5% an hour, so sync barely made an
impact so popped it all back on.
18:15 28% so another 6% but sync,GPS,BT are on, puts me at a loss for what went wrong the other day I was listenig to music.

the phone is really not too bad, I guess the an app must of crashed in a funny state or something as I've not stopped the MP3 since I started work this morning. Thats 9 hrs playing MP3, with a total uptime of 24hrs at the mo under what i would call normal usage conditions, still running with 28% left.

I'll pop last.fm back on as it may have been unnecessarily blamed by a dodgy app state but I'm quite happy with that performance.

Upvote 0
yeah i think my first day was an anomoly - the "media" usage in the battery screen was at 95% and was DRAINING the battery. yesterday I had >60% charge left after I got home from work unplugged for 11 hours :)

that included 10min voice calls, 20 sms, send/receive maybe 10 emails and 30 mins browsing over HSDPA so I'm happy with that! I notice ~1% per hour when in standby too which is ok I guess.

1st day I got home it was nealry dead!! luckily I don't use it as an MP3 player either :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones