• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ACS][HOW TO] Root, Install CWM, Unroot, Flash Roms/Kernels/Themes! (11 videos) 9/28/11

qbking77

Nov 10, 2010
Hey everyone! I have recently obtained a Motorola Photon 4G and will be making lots of how to videos for it! I do see there are a lot of written guides, but no videos. I did make many how to videos for the Samsung Epic and I got such a wonderful response from everyone, I figured I would expand to different devices.

Please post suggestions to future videos in this thread, or PM me!

I will be posting more how to videos very soon

How to root the Motorola Photon 4G and get Free Wifi Wireless Hotspot:
How to root the Motorola Photon 4G and get Free Wifi Wireless Hotspot - YouTube

How to install Custom Bootstrap Recovery (Clockworkmod) on the Motorola Photon 4G:
How to install Bootstrap Recovery on the Motorola Photon 4G (clockworkmod) - YouTube

How to unroot / unbrick the Motorola Photon 4G to stock Android 2.3.4:
How to unroot / unbrick the Motorola Photon 4G to stock Android 2.3.4 - YouTube

How to Unlock the Motorola Photon 4G Bootloader:
How to unlock the Motorola Photon 4G bootloader - YouTube

How to root and clockworkmod Motorola Photon 4G w/ unlocked bootloader:
How to root and clockworkmod Motorola Photon 4G w/ unlocked bootloader - YouTube

How to flash a kernel and overclock the Moto Photon 4G to 1.1Ghz:
How to flash a kernel and overclock the Moto Photon 4G to 1.1Ghz - YouTube

How to update your Motorola Photon to system version 45.2.7:
How to update your Motorola Photon to system version 45.2.7 - YouTube

How to flash the home base rom on the Motorola photon:
How to flash the Home Base Rom on the Motorola Photon 4G - YouTube

How to update clockworkmod to 5.0.2.3:
How to update to Clockworkmod 5.0.2.3 on the Motorola Photon 4G - YouTube

How to flash the Alien Rom:
How to flash the Alien Rom on the Motorola Photon 4G - YouTube

How to flash the Alien Theme:
How to flash the Alien Theme on the Motorola Photon 4G - YouTube

Youtube Channel:
qbking77's Channel - YouTube

One click root method didn't work. Kept saying device not found for each step. Had the drivers installed on the computer, and made sure phone was in 'charge only' mode w/ USB debugging enabled.
Whenever Im doing rooting type stuff I always put my phone as mass storage. Also make sure you extracted everything, I made that mistake on the 1CR and it told me invalid command and would kick me out.

Reactions: qbking77
Upvote 0
I am getting the following errors, and no root :( Any ideas?

Here is from the OCR log

* daemon not running. starting it now *
* daemon started successfully *
Getting temp root
RE-boot-en
Hackin Things
deleting all yo shit
remount succeeded
cannot stat 'rootsetup': No such file or directory
Unable to chmod /data/local/tmp/rootsetup: No such file or directory
/data/local/tmp/rootsetup: not found
rm failed for /data/local/tmp/rootsetup, No such file or directory
Copying files onto phone...
cannot stat 'su': No such file or directory
cannot stat 'Superuser.apk': No such file or directory
cannot stat 'busybox': No such file or directory
cannot stat 'remount': No such file or directory
Setting permissions...
Unable to chmod /system/xbin/busybox: No such file or directory
Unable to chmod /system/xbin/remount: No such file or directory
Unable to chmod /system/xbin/su: No such file or directory
link failed File exists
Installing busybox...
/system/xbin/busybox: not found
Cleaning up files...
"You should have root!"
Press any key to continue . . .

Upvote 0
I am having the exact same problem!

USB debugging is on. Phone set to mass storage. At the end of the script it claims that the phone is now rooted. A quick check with 'Root Check' shows that this is not the case. The 'Super User' app is not copied over to the phone during the rooting process. The script manages to reboot the phone as expected during the process, but nothing seems to get copied over or any changes made. I recieve the same error messages that the original poster quoted below from his/her OCR log.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

I am getting the following errors, and no root :( Any ideas?

Here is from the OCR log

* daemon not running. starting it now *
* daemon started successfully *
Getting temp root
RE-boot-en
Hackin Things
deleting all yo shit
remount succeeded
cannot stat 'rootsetup': No such file or directory
Unable to chmod /data/local/tmp/rootsetup: No such file or directory
/data/local/tmp/rootsetup: not found
rm failed for /data/local/tmp/rootsetup, No such file or directory
Copying files onto phone...
cannot stat 'su': No such file or directory
cannot stat 'Superuser.apk': No such file or directory
cannot stat 'busybox': No such file or directory
cannot stat 'remount': No such file or directory
Setting permissions...
Unable to chmod /system/xbin/busybox: No such file or directory
Unable to chmod /system/xbin/remount: No such file or directory
link failed File exists
Installing busybox...
/system/xbin/busybox: not found
Cleaning up files...
"You should have root!"
Press any key to continue . . .

Upvote 0
I am having the exact same problem!

USB debugging is on. Phone set to mass storage. At the end of the script it claims that the phone is now rooted. A quick check with 'Root Check' shows that this is not the case. The 'Super User' app is not copied over to the phone during the rooting process. The script manages to reboot the phone as expected during the process, but nothing seems to get copied over or any changes made. I recieve the same error messages that the original poster quoted below from his/her OCR log.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Do not mount your phone.. just have it on charge

Upvote 0
Thanks @qbking77 for all of your help with this. I'm running into an error when I try to boot into recovery after flashing the recovery image. After following all the promts and entering in the steps you showed in the command prompt here's what happens.
I enter "moto-fastboot recovery flash recovery recovery-green-photon3.img" and I get the following: Fastboot version 1.0
usage: fastboot [ <option> ] <command>

commands:
update <filename>...
there's another 10-15 lines of text as well.
Any ideas on what I did wrong?

Upvote 0
OK, so I'm not sure what I did but I guess I bricked my phone. Everything started off great. I rooted with torpedo and then did the boot strap unlock and that worked flawlessly. The last thing I did before things went totally wrong was I put Dark Fire Photon Rom on my phone. I love that ROM, I have been following QBKing77's videos to the Tee as much as possible considering some links and pages have changed from when he put them up. Anyways I downloaded a few more ROM's and just left them alone on my phone. I went thru some more videos and thought that I would bravely change it up and flash the CM7 ROM. When I did that after figuring out that I couldn't use clockwork mod from ROM manager to get into BOOT mode, I had to use the bootstrap that I had forgotten about. Stupid me I know. Anyways, so I loaded it up from there unzipped it and when I rebooted I ended up stuck in boot mode I guess. It just has the motorola logo on the screen. I have tried every way I know to get back into boot mode and it won't let me. I do have RSD Lite on my computer, downloaded the original flash file to go back to stock. I tried following QBKing's instructions but for some reason it's got all different links than the ones he goes to. So I am flashing that now for the second time since the first time I wasn't in the right mode on my phone. I hope it works this time because the last time I got a fail. I'm lucky that this isn't my actual phone that I use and that it's just a play phone. It would be sad though if I end up loosing all the games I had downloaded on it as I had planned on letting the kids play on it.

Anyways, if I'm doing something wrong then if someone could help me that would be great.

Upvote 0
I just wanted to say that I really love doing things over a bunch of times. Just a note, that was sarcasm. I made a mistake in trying to flash cm7 and I guess I didn't wipe everything I needed to before doing it and got a weird boot loop of the last thing I flashed which was a theme. It kept flashing on and off in a weird sparatic pattern of the splash screen for said theme. So now I'm back to unlocking the boot loader and then reflashing the theme. I don't think I'm going to try flashing a rom anymore. And yes I am reading everything clearly but it's just not working.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones