• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Activate Device Administrator

Newer versions of Exchange have additional configuration that allows them to remotely send additional authorization and authentication protocols to your phone and request additional permissions from the user before allowing the user to authenticate to the Exchange server.

basically, what this means is that, if your Exchange administrator has enabled these features and made use of them, then it could do things like force you to use a PIN to unlock your phone every time you want to use (among other things).

You might want to check with your Exchange server admin first before you actually allow this as I understand that it can be a PITA to work once it is enabled.

Of course, you could ignore it, but it may not allow access to your Exchange server at all, in that case, so...

you'll have to basically play around and see.

Definitely, though, talk to your Exchange server admin.

Upvote 0
Just as johnlgalt said this is enabled because you have a email setup on your phone that is through a MS Exchange server (Usually its a work email). In order for you to have this setup on your phone you have to allow this or exchange will not allow your phone to sync and get/send email on that account. The new update FRG22B enabled these functions finnaly so Android is more available to the corporate world.

If you do allow this .. you will have to setup either a PIN or Password on the phone you cannot setup the pattern lock. Also ANYTIME your screen goes off you will have to put in the PIN/Pass to access the phone. You cannot turn this off unless you remove the exchange account from your phone.

Upvote 0
Everytime my device restarts i get this message... then I click it and it goes away. I've never had to set a pin or screen lock though... I don't get that.

I am having the same exact issue on several of these phones here at work after the update.

We don't require the password on our setup (I'm the exchange admin)

However it seems like at random and every time the phones are restarted we get the security warning. Sometimes you have to reactivate device administrator and others you just need to click the message and it goes away.

Also at random you will get the email to your phone as soon as it comes in and others you need to refresh on the phone.

This all started occurring after the new update.

I have reached out to our Verizon rep and their support channels. Hopefully they can re-create it in a lab or provide some further insight because this issue is very problematic for us

Upvote 0
@muab I will keep everyone updated as I figure out more and hear from Verizon.

@DDG There are settings on the Exchange Server (ActiveSync Mailbox Policies) that specify if a password is required or not, along with other parameters. If no policy is defined then the default values are applied to your ActiveSync account. The default value for "Password enabled" is "False" meaning that it should not be required.
More information about that is located here:
Understanding Exchange ActiveSync Mailbox Policies: Exchange 2010 SP1 Help

Upvote 0
Here is the reply I got from Google.

android@googlecode.com
Owner: mbl...@google.com
Comment #1 on issue 10989 by mbl...@google.com: FRG22D Update Killed Outlook
Issue 10989 - android - FRG22D Update Killed Outlook - Project Hosting on Google Code
I hear ya; but the previous behavior was incorrect - the PIN should always have been enforced.
--
You received this message because you starred the issue.
You may adjust your notification preferences at:
https://code.google.com/hosting/settings

Upvote 0
I keep *trying* to get the Exchange admins to lock me out of server access but no go.
I'm probably the only one of this sad bunch not to have push email :)

Ever go to lunch with these guys?
It's three of them, with their Crackberries, completely glued to email, while sitting at the table. If the waitress doesn't show up naked, she's not likely to get their attention.

Upvote 0
Did u ever figure your question out? I just set up my school email & it's asking me to do the same thing! I'm scared to do it because it says it can factory reset my phone & all it's data w/ out warning & a bunch of other things!! Can it really do everything it's asking? If so I guess I'll stick to checking my email from the computer. Hope u can answer this thanks!

Upvote 0
Did u ever figure your question out? I just set up my school email & it's asking me to do the same thing! I'm scared to do it because it says it can factory reset my phone & all it's data w/ out warning & a bunch of other things!! Can it really do everything it's asking? If so I guess I'll stick to checking my email from the computer. Hope u can answer this thanks!

cmonday, welcome to the site!:) I hope we can help you.

But first, the last post in this thread is over two years old. Also it pertains to the Motorola A855 Droid phone and a version of Android that is not very current.

So in the interest of trying to give you the help you request, are you using the above named phone? If not, which one, and further what version of Android is on it?

Thanks.

Upvote 0
cmonday, welcome to the site!:) I hope we can help you.

But first, the last post in this thread is over two years old. Also it pertains to the Motorola A855 Droid phone and a version of Android that is not very current.

So in the interest of trying to give you the help you request, are you using the above named phone? If not, which one, and further what version of Android is on it?

Thanks.

He teddyearp, I have the same question as cmonday. I am using a Droid Razr Maxx HD with jellybean update.

Has this topic been resolved/updated?

Thanks!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones