1. find my car

find my car Guest

how do i activate GPS on android phone

Advertisement
    :
  2. girolez

girolez Often Off Piste Guide

Hi and welcome

If you have the phone to hand you pull down the notification shade and press the "target" symbol so it lights up. That "enables" the GPS. To make use of it there needs to be a running app which uses it.

If you do not have the phone and wish to activate it remotely you need to have set up a recovery service such as Lookout or Seekdroid or Android Device Manager (before loosing it) which can allow the phone to be contacted (often by sms) and then can activate gps, use the gps location service and find the phone. The are some apps which can be installed remotely via playstore on a PC such as PlanB but I have not tried them.

Roger
    scary alien likes this.
  3. tommo47

tommo47 Well-Known Member Contributor

hi, welcome to Android Forums.

You can switch your GPS receiver on in Settings --> Wireless & Networks, although it doesn't become active until you run an app which utilises it, typically a mapping & navigation app, most but not all of which will prompt you to switch the receiver on if you haven't already done so. At this point you should see the GPS icon active in your notification bar. The radiating bars will flash until the receiver locks on to sufficient satellites to give a location (in normal circumstances 4 satellites are required), they will then become steady.

Hope this helps. :)
    scary alien likes this.