Activate HTC Magic (Saphire)Support

Last Updated:

1. paulgsm

paulgsm Member This Topic's Starter

How to activate a HTC Magic (Sapphire).

I have the unlock code and a Vodafone SIM card with internet activated. I put the sim card in phone, tun it on but it doesn't ask me for unlock code !!!! (maybe it's allready unlocked because on the screen appears Vodafone).

When I want to activate the APN settings should appears in the lower part of the screen but it is not. I tried other method of activation - from G1: to press menu buttton after second google user and pass input entered - for apn field appears. No succes this time too.

Any idee how to activate ?

Thx

Advertisement
  2. Carl C

Carl C Well-Known Member

Hi PaulGSM and welcome to the forums! :D

1) All vodafone Contract phones {which the HTC Magic is} are unlocked. If it is not , Vodafone will unlock it for free anyway.

2) Sorry but I don't understand , What do you need to Activate?

3) Do you want me to provide you with the HTC Magic APN for Vodafone UK?

Carl C ;)

3. paulgsm

Thank you for your fast answer sir.

Phone is from Vodafone Spain and now it's used with another european Vodafone SIM card. I know that after unlock (if the phone is locked) you have to activate it in order to use it (a procedure almoust similar with Iphone activation). By activation I mean acces to phone menu.

Now the language of the phone is spanish. It tells me to activate the phone with my google account in order to use it.

4. Carl C

Carl C Well-Known Member

So your Problem is you are having difficulty in signing in or creating an google account or is your problem is you do not have access to internet so you can't sign in etc.?

Sorry to ask but I'm finding it difficult as to what you actually need help with :)

5. paulgsm

I have a gmail account. If I can sign in with these user or pass it's ok but I need a field to fill in with APN data from my provider. I don't have acces to that field !!!

Why, after unlock I don't have direct acces to phone menu. Is this because I have to activate it first ?

Thank you

6. paulgsm

So, nobody can't tell me how to activate this phone ? I searched all over the net ... post the problem on many forums but still ... no answer. It is hard to belive there is no activation method for this phone !

7. Carl C

Carl C Well-Known Member

Hi PaulGSM ,

Their is no activation for the phone {besides the one you have already done signing in}.

I have an Idea though , I think you are trying to say you are trying to fill in the APN but their is no where to enter them? I assume the screen is blank.

So follow these instructions and hopefully this should sort you out:

Go to settings -> Wireless Controls -> Mobile Networks -> Access Point names -> Press the "Menu" button -> New APN -> Fill in the appropiate feilds with your service providers details -> Save

Does this sort it for you? :)

8. paulgsm

I can't go to settins - Wireless ..etc because I don't have acces to phone menu !!! It' like an Iphone...you can see the operator name (if the phone is unlocked) but you cannot enter the menu because it is not activated! I have acces only to keyboard for emergency calls and to user and pass fields for google account !

9. Carl C

Carl C Well-Known Member

Hi PaulGSM :)

If you can see fields to enter your username and Password then enter your details and sign in or create a new account. What happens after you sign in?

I'm not sure but if your having problems signing in etc , I think theirs a button on the screen under the sign in fields like "Skip this step" or "Do it later".

10. paulgsm

After Sign In nothing happens ... that's the problem. The 2 fields (GMAIL username and password) appears again and agian ..... :( !

There is no "Skip this step" or "Do it later" button !

YouTube - HTC Magic activation

11. paulgsm

LOL

Sir .. I'm not stupid

The log in information is on purpose incorect;
    The purpose to fill in the blanks was for you to see that nothing happens.
    The same thing happens with the corect info of my GMail account !

The menu language of the phone is spanish.

On top of the screen it is written that username and password are incorect or something simillar:

Original text:

Se han realizado demasiados intentos incorrectos de creacion del patron

Google translate:

have been too many unsuccessful attempts of creation of the pattern

12. Carl C

Carl C Well-Known Member

LOL Sorry, I know your not stupid just being safe than sorry :)

Thanks for the translation too , Now it takes us another step closer...

It looks like you may have locked your phone , since you have tried logging in without success I beleive the only thing left to do is a Factory reset. Unfortunately this will delete whatever is on the phone.... But Don;t worry your Contacts , Gmail and calender are already safely backed up. Now just the photos and stuff on the memory card.

Just take it out -> Pop the card in a PC and copy all the files on their.

The last time I did a factory reset my SD card content was not touched but better safe than sorry.

After that .............Turn off the phone .............Now hold the "Home button" & the "Back arrow" button now briefly touch the red power button. this will prompt you to clear user data. Press the trackball if you confirm and that should reset the device. Now when restarted try signing into your Google account

Does this work for you? :)

13. paulgsm

It's working !

The problem is that I received the phone with to many try outs for Gmail user and pass.

Thank you again !

14. Carl C

Carl C Well-Known Member

Yeah , thanks to your video and the Translation we managed to get to the bottom of it! :D

I hope you enjoy your new phone! I know you will ;)

Carl C

15. paulgsm

Now I'm trying to manage how to delete the email used for phone activation. I put another SIM card and I don't want that the owner of the phone to use my gmail account. Anyway ... everytime you try to acces a service thar require internet ..calendar, gmail, etc.... it asks password ...so ...sort of ...I am protected :) .... but my gmail adress appears on the screen. I think that if I do a reset ...again ...I have to activate the phone againg in order to use it.

Anyway ...I keep trying ...

16. Carl C

Carl C Well-Known Member

If you need to change the Google account , you don't actually need to Reset it again :D

Just go to Settings -> Applications -> Manage applications -> Scroll down to "Google apps" -> press the "Clear data" button -> Now go to the Market -> It will prompt you to enter the new account -> Now all the gmails , contacts etc will sync only with the new account

Simple! :p

Carl C ;)