• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Activate Stock G1 over WiFi

I was stupid enough to hard reset a Mytouch that i got as gift from Us. It is unlocked but not activated - it was before i did my little stint.
Now it wont let me pass darn google activation.

Help@!!!!

I some some tips here but those were for a G1. Mytouch is without a keyboard.

Please help me enjoy this phone and save it to become just a paper weight. !!!!

Upvote 0
After you get to the wifi setting is it ok if i disconnect my g1 and go to the neighbors house and connect to their wifi?

i really need internet at my house....

edit: I tried it out and connected to my neighbor's wifi but it just kept saying that google servers weren't responding...

so i guess i have to keep it connected..?

edit: Ok i will just try it when i get internet in my apartment...

Upvote 0
Im having trouble seeing my G1 after typing "adb devices" in the terminal.
(

adb can only connect to the phone if the adb service is running on the phone. I'd review the original post and see if anything was missed/skipped.

Another possibility is that there is something wrong with the USB connection but you could test that with another device. If you are using linux you could do a
Code:
dmesg
after plugging in the phone and see if anything was logged.

Upvote 0
Ok Android experts, I will not waste your time. I got a G1 from my friend with no sim card in it. I, being the nice guy I am, did a factory reset of the phone, which got me nowhere quickly i assure you! I've spent about 10 hours doing this (mostly because it seems the batter doesn't make a good contact with the phone or something).

Anyways, I'm doing all of this so I can run some cool wifi apps, but most importantly the PS3 jailbreak software (If that is reason enough not to help me I understand)

Anyways, I was able to run the draem rainbow thing and it worked without issue. I seem to have everything installed on my computer, but when I do this

$ am start -a android.intent.action.MAIN -n com.android.settings/.Settings
am start -a android.intent.action.MAIN -n com.android.settings/.Settings
Starting: Intent { action=android.intent.action.MAIN comp={com.android.settings/
com.android.settings.Settings} }
$
C:\Users\Daniel\Desktop\sdk\tools>

It does not change from the NO SIM message.. I also see I have a $ and NOT a #, I don't know what to do.

Can anyone PLEASE provide me some assistance, if I did not provide enough information please let me know what you need and I'll get it. I'm not going to be a tough person to work with, I can even post videos of whats going on if you want, lol

Thanks in advance! I appreciate all the great work you guys do in this forum!
Daniel

Remember, I HAVE NO SIM CARD!

Upvote 0
C:\Users\Daniel\Desktop\sdk\tools>adb devices
List of devices attached
DEVICE ID IS DISPLAYED HERE device

C:\Users\Daniel\Desktop\sdk\tools>adb shell
$ am start -a android.intent.action.MAIN -n com.android.settings/.Settings
am start -a android.intent.action.MAIN -n com.android.settings/.Settings
Can't dispatch DDM chunk 46454154: no handler defined
Can't dispatch DDM chunk 4d505251: no handler defined
Starting: Intent { action=android.intent.action.MAIN comp={com.android.settings/
com.android.settings.Settings} }
Warning: Activity not started, its current task has been brought to the front
$

is now what im getting. Am I close? Remember i never see the robot screen, i just see the no sim. reboot, starting the service, all that works.

ive read so much im truly confused. I appreciate it!
Daniel

Upvote 0
I thought I MIGHT have read something along those lines but I wasn't quite sure. I'm still waiting on the sim, but I had ZERO knowledge about any of this stuff, and now I know a little bit so I thank you for your time that you took to put this together and help people actually learn stuff. It might be a fun little device (Will never be used as a phone)

And on that note, Here in Nebraska, there are very few carriers that use Sim cards, and only in one part of the state. Could ANY deactive tmo sim work for this?

I don't know if that's illegal or against the rules of the forum. I'm just trying to get into this thing for fun.

Thanks again Swizz, I truly appreciate your time.

AstroCity

Upvote 0
everything is going fine until the step where you type "adb".

I am on a mac, go to terminal, cd until i get to the folder with the adb, type "adb" and nothing happens. I have no idea what I am going wrong. I am sure that I have rc29 because i can type "enter" "reboot" "enter" and the phone reboots.

What am missing? Thanks.

Upvote 0
hi guys,
can anyone tell me if a person can use a prepaid tmobile sim card with a rooted g1, will it work the same way as a plan sim card.
also, i'm pretty sure the steps talked about in this article(signing on google with wifi) will not be needed if someone plans on rooting the phone, is that correct?
thank you for all of your help

Upvote 0
hi guys,
can anyone tell me if a person can use a prepaid tmobile sim card with a rooted g1, will it work the same way as a plan sim card.

For phone/google registration via wifi? Yes. I did the wifi method with a tmo2go SIM. I've also done it with my wife's postpaid card, which was significantly easier. I do not think it will be possible to sign into google over any American TMO prepaid plan/sim that I know of, since the only "data" is the WAP deck "walled garden" (captain's proxy notwithstanding).

also, i'm pretty sure the steps talked about in this article(signing on google with wifi) will not be needed if someone plans on rooting the phone, is that correct?

Unless someone hands you a phone that has already been associated with a google account and has not been factory reset, you'll have to associate it with a google account or you won't get too far. Whether you do this over wifi or with a data-enabled SIM is up to you. It only takes a couple of minutes once you get the chosen method in place.

Rooting does not bypass the need to sign into google when you boot the phone the "first" time. It just may mean you can use wifi to sign in instead of using a data-enabled SIM.

If I'm offtrack, someone pls correct my thinking. There's a bit of Kentucky's finest in the old man's veins tonight.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones