Activation Fee

Last Updated:

1. crashcarruthers

crashcarruthers Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

If you purchase a Captivate for $350, and have service with data on AT&T can you just move your SIM card and not pay an activation fee? I am out of contract also.

Advertisement
  2. subie41ife

subie41ife Well-Known Member

I would thnk that there wont be an activation fee, just because...I'm returning my iPhone 4(micro sim) and after I return it to apple on friday, i'm then going to have my old iPhone(normal size sim card) reactivated and they told me they will just give me a new sim card and then the phone with work fine again with no fee.

I feel like the activation fee is more for when you upgrade and sign a new two year contract before your contract ends. When I got my iPhone 4 I didnt have any activation fee because I was out of contract. Friends that I know that were able to upgrade, but still in contract had an $18 upgrade fee...

Dont hold me to this because I don't know for sure, but I think this is how it would work.

3. shocker

shocker Well-Known Member

There is no activation or upgrade fee if you are buying the phone at full retail with existing service. If it was a new line of service then it would be $36.

crashcarruthers likes this.
  4. ewingr

ewingr Well-Known Member

I would presume activation fee would only be for new lines. If I have an existing phone, whether on or off contract, and change phones in whatever manner, I already have an active line. There should be no activation fee in that case.

Is that not true?

5. tsanuri

tsanuri Well-Known Member

Where it should be true AT&T charges what they call an upgrade fee. But for the most part it is a lazy mans fee. If you ask to get it waived they will do it most of the time.

6. shocker

shocker Well-Known Member

Correct, no activation fee for existing customers.