Activation - home vs extended

1. SpartanCat

SpartanCat Member

Quick question!
    Is it possible to have an account that is activated within the MetroPCS home service area but primary use is in the extended phone area?
    My family is switching from ATT and they're going to Metro. I'd like to also but the customer service rep I spoke to said my service would not work since I will be consistently in the extended service area. My parents just left a store and that customer service representative told them I would be able to use it in Chicago as long as I activated it inside the home area (MI). We're all very confused.
    If anyone has any thoughts, it would be much appreciated.
    Thanks!!!

Advertisement
  2. trigger1074

trigger1074 Well-Known Member

talk and text ,and some web will work in extended.
  3. THE W

THE W Well-Known Member

You can activate your phone anywhere but as mentioned you'll get talk and text and by chance data in extended home areas.
  4. alfick3

alfick3 Well-Known Member

As an example, I took a road trip from Dallas up I-35 to I-80 and over to the Quad Cities part of Iowa. I had great talk and text the whole way. I also had days the whole way, even though it was 1x. I left the home area a little before the Oklahoma border, and went into extended home. I would guess that in the Chicago area you'd get at least 1x data.
  5. SpartanCat

SpartanCat Member

That's good to know.
    When I called the customer service rep they told me I would be unable to use it consistently outside of the home area. Data would be nice but MetroPCS's unlimited text and calls are cheaper than the other plans I've seen so I might just have to continuing going without data.
    Thanks!
  6. alfick3

alfick3 Well-Known Member

One thing to keep in mind, when you are in the extended home area, there always wifi hot spots, like Starbucks.