• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help activation prepaid card

ebaronov

Lurker
Aug 6, 2009
Hi guys,

Can I use a T-mobile G1 with a prepaid T-mobile card with no data plan. I just bought it from Amazon and when I turn it on it tries to connect to the google servers and it fails. Can I do the initial setup with some friend's card. I'll be in US for a couple of months and it doesn't make sense to get a plan with gprs/edge.

Any help will be really appreciated.
Thanks.

Yes, the G1 works fine on prepaid with no data plan.

To activate your phone with your google account, you can either put in someone else's SIM with a G1 data plan, or follow these instructions:

http://androidforums.com/support/6564-activate-stock-g1-over-wifi.html

Also, if you can get JesusFreke's ROM or CyanogenMod on your phone, it will let you bypass the activation. But installing a custom ROM would likely still require you to bypass activation first, if for no other reason than to install the radio update before the ROM.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones