activation screen on new DincGeneral

Last Updated:

1. Beardown

Beardown Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hello all,
    Just got my new incredible today and charged it up. Then turned it on and it went right to the home screen......on my eris when I got it new I had a screen that came up right away about must activate to go further. Did any of you guys have this on your new incredible or is that gone on the new phones?? Just curious. Thanks

Advertisement
  2. woop

woop novacane (OFWGKTA) VIP Member

I definitely had an activation screen. Did you buy it online or in-store? If you bought it in-store, the VZW rep may have activated it for you, so you may not realize it was there during the first power-up.

3. Beardown

nope, ordered it online 7-1.

just got it from fed ex today.

4. DroidINC10

DroidINC10 Member

Should of definitely had a activation screen. It basically walks through setting up Gmail and other e-mail accounts, facebook etc... All stuff you can do by going to each program. It just would do it all upon start up for a quick set-up.

5. Beardown

Is there a way I can see when the phone was manufactured?? I just talked to a rep and he pulled attitude and said "I am pretty sure its a new phone" then he said he things this phone is different then the others..

6. jamor

jamor Well-Known Member

Go to programs > setup

7. jamor

jamor Well-Known Member

go to phone, dial ##778##, hit call.

Click view mode.

Click display, scroll down to manufacturers date.

The date for new phones is typically about 1-2 weeks back from when you receive it

8. Beardown

Talked to a tech support guy and he told me that he has no history of it being activated from the esn number. I did the ##778## and it was manufactured on 7-15-10 so I would assume it is new then. They said they would change it out but as long as it works I will be happy. Thanks guys!

9. woop

woop novacane (OFWGKTA) VIP Member

Well if everything seems to be working, then I'd just run through the set up process again and be done with it.

10. Beardown

done deal, activated and playing around with it now.

11. Bundy

Bundy Well-Known Member

Definitely a virus. Send it back immediately.

Ok, bad joke. Is it possible that the setup application crashed or just failed to open? No way they sent you a used phone.

12. Bundy

Bundy Well-Known Member

Double post.

13. Beardown

The tech guy said it wasn't the first time he has heard of this on this and other android phones.

14. jonw757

jonw757 Well-Known Member

I just got a replacement today and same thing, no activation walk through.. thought it was odd

15. yojoe600

yojoe600 Well-Known Member

sounds like they may be testing them and turning them on before shipping them out?

16. AttorneyIncredible

AttorneyIncredible Well-Known Member

would make sense given all the out of box issues such as frozen screens etc etc.

17. Xystence

Xystence Well-Known Member

At my store when I activate any android phone generally as a rep I can go through the setup for the customer. However there is a way with all models to bypass this setup completely and not setup any of it. I have seen thee occasionally when reps are demoing live models of phones from inventory and want to show features of the phone without going through the activation process first. Once this happens if the rep does not factory restore the phone, the setup will only return if you go into it manually.

So in your case it sounds like whoever sent you the phone has previously done something to it requiring a boot to OS home screen. I personally hate that reps do demo live product, because in my opinion it takes away from the new factory that most people would want, or at least I know it would bother me, and I wouldn't buy it if I saw any signs of ANY use prior.

18. lg4420

lg4420 Well-Known Member

I got mine as a refurb from online, had the same thing come up, did a factory reset and came right to activation screen, just in case