• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

mystik1

Dec 5, 2009
NC, USA
fb.algadon.com
So, I did the pre-order thing with RadioShack. My phone shipped today. It will be here tomorrow. I transferred my phone number from my original Droid with Verizon. This is my first time around going with a transfer rather than just straight new service. On the order with Radio Shack, it says: "Date Service Scheduled to be Live on Device: 09/02/2010". I called about this and was told that it means I won't be able to use my phone until the 2nd, when it will arrive on the 1st. That stinks! Is it really completely true? That is, if I have wifi, can I still use apps and everything...just not the phone service...or will I not be able to use anything at all? Of course, I'm very anxious to get started with it. :D

In all of my dealings with Sprint on issues like this... they are able to help me by activating phones over the telephone. So you very possibly will be able to call Sprint as soon as the phone arrives. Most phones that get shipped to you require you to call an 800 # once they arrive anyway. And I think nowadays, the activation is an automated phone system. So you may be just a 10-minute phone call away from getting an active phone!

Upvote 0
I believe the issue lies with porting your old number from Verizon over to Sprint. From what I understand there is some red tape between the carriers that has to be dealt with before the number actually becomes available for use again (ie for Sprint to activate it) and that can take anywhere from 30 minutes to 48 hrs (according to a Sprint rep).

I will be dealing with the same thing in a week when my ATT contract ends and I port my number over to my account with Sprint.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones