• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Activesync Exchange Problem

tommym

May 2, 2010
I installed touchdown and my work exchange account works great. When I try and use the native client it doesn't work right. It sends just fine but it does not receive. The only way it will receive is if I go back into the account settings and saving the account even though I don't change anything when I go back to the inbox it syncs up. But after that it stops. Does it have something to do with the certificate warning I got when I entered the account info? Or is it something else ? I need to use both clients for my two accounts so I need to get this working.

When register the account it doesn't sync at all.
When I go to my general sync settings
and select exchange/activesnc
and then select sync now I get "error when doing ssl"
if I go to
account settings>configure server then unselect "this server requires an encrypted ssl connection" then I reselect and then save it will sync. But just that one time. anytime after that I get the "error doing ssl"

I can send emails but not receive. (emails get sent twice)

I think it has something to do with the certificate. I cannot login to the OWA page from the browser either. When I try and configure the mail app I get the same certificate error. Anyone else having this issue?
progress.gif
http://forum.androidcentral.com/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=91077

You're getting the error on the native client (and not Touchdown) because your Exchange server probably has a self-signed SSL certificate. Any decent Exchange admin should know better than to do this, specifically because it breaks many smartphones, and it will throw errors / warnings when users jump on Outlook Web Access to check their mail. ;)

The only workaround would be to find out how to import a new root server SSL certificate into the phone. I believe this is possible but I'm not sure how you do it. You'd need to get a copy of the root CA for your Exchange system (typically, the Exchange server itself, unless your Windows admins have their own root CA setup separately). You'd have to make sure the root CA is in the right format for the phone, and then get it somewhere the phone can import (presumably the sd card).

Once the phone trusts the new root CA (certification authority), it will then automagically trust any certificate issued by that CA. This would include the SSL certificate that secures the mail from the Exchange server.

Unless HTC's mail app offers an "ignore invalid SSL certs" option (which is what Touchdown does), you are hosed.

I just wish I could use HTC's Mail on a Moto Droid... There are enough things annoying me with the Incredible that I want to go back to my Moto, but I freaking hate Touchdown. The Exchange integration from Motorola is a pile of trash, not to mention the fact that it eats your e-mail accounts regularly. HTC did Exchange right... My favorite thing about the Incredible is HTC's Mail and SMS/Messaging app, followed closely by the Sense UI in general (big phone button at the bottom is full of win).

Too bad the Incredible is missing dock support and has an epic fail in place of a battery. I can't even make it through a normal day without some charging, which is sad. Moto would do that and have ~50-60% left...

Upvote 0
I am having a similar problem and I wonder if it related. I can connect to Exchange using HTC's mail icon. It works for a day or two and then, even though it says it is fully synced as of a certain time, it has stopped retrieiving new emails. The only way I have found to work around the problem is to delete the Exchange account on my phone and re-instate it. Do you think it's an issue with the SSL certificate being self-signed or somehow temporary?

Upvote 0
For my situation I think I am better off actually using a 3rd party app like Touchdown.

This phone is for me, not for my employer. My employer issues me a BlackBerry. If I were to use the ActiveSync app I would then have all of my work stuff intermingled with my personal stuff.

By using something like Touchdown I can keep them separate. I am a network engineer for a hospital system so even when I'm not on call I'd like to have some idea as to system status without carrying 2 phones.

Now I can do that.

This situation works out for me but as always, YMMV.

Upvote 0
I have been trying to set-up activesync (with IT on the land line) we have verified all the fields asked for on the HTC are correct, it pings the exchange server then sends a message screen up on the Incredible saying Error "Failed to create the account. Please try again later." with the only option to hit OK. Seriously? try again later? Tried again later, and ater, and later.

Upvote 0
I am having a similar problem and I wonder if it related. I can connect to Exchange using HTC's mail icon. It works for a day or two and then, even though it says it is fully synced as of a certain time, it has stopped retrieiving new emails. The only way I have found to work around the problem is to delete the Exchange account on my phone and re-instate it. Do you think it's an issue with the SSL certificate being self-signed or somehow temporary?

Im glad I am not the only one with this issue. I am having the exact same problem you describe. I used touchdown and it worked great but I don't like how it looks at all.

Upvote 0
I know this isn't entirely related to the issues described above, but I am curious for those that have installed this update if they are still having the syncing problem?

Droid Incredible's mysterious OTA update actually fixes Exchange bug -- Engadget

On a side note, anybody have any comments on Touchdown's security (i.e. as it is a third party program can they just read all my email?). I'm also curious if it let's me bypass server-enforced passcode.

Upvote 0
Having the same issue. I cant seem to put the cert on the phone as its .cer and droid only see's .p12?

I have the same issue. When I switch to a new IP network the cert fails. I can continue but it's an annoyance. My company is looking into Verisign certificates but it's pretty annoying that our certificates fail.

I think it's a bit odd that Verizon didn't notice this issue before deploying the device. They seem as taken aback by it as I am.

Regards,

Upvote 0
Having issues with failure to connect at all to activesyn server. I tried TD and it also failed. Set up the same account on my Tour by simply entering the email address and pw...connected no problem. My Tour is ok but the HTC is a much more powerful tool. But for the life of me, I can't get this email account going and the helpful VZW folks just punt.

Upvote 0
Having issues with failure to connect at all to activesyn server. I tried TD and it also failed. Set up the same account on my Tour by simply entering the email address and pw...connected no problem. My Tour is ok but the HTC is a much more powerful tool. But for the life of me, I can't get this email account going and the helpful VZW folks just punt.

LOL! I spoke to the great VZW folks today and they recommended I go for the Touchdown, also mentioned K9 mail.. I cannot get Touchdown to work and don't want K9, I just want the functionality I had before we migrated to Exchange 2010. They also apparently called HTC who advised them to "try an app".. UGH...

Upvote 0
I was in the middle of AGAIN re-installing my Exchange account and was getting a failed to finish, try later (BS) error. Searched... found this thread (thank you) and immediately tried TouchDown and... we have a winner.

I am now hoping to find out that it supports Notes in Exchange... which I use the heck out of. Too bad for native Exchange support... basically, it sucks!

Upvote 0
Digging up this old thread again, but I've recently been struggling with Activesync since my work upgraded the server to Exchange 2010. Since we are using a self-signed certificate, I was unable to re-establish my account after the upgrade (HTC says the Incredible doesn't officially support Exchange 2010). Touchdown worked, but I was stubborn enough to not want to spend the $20 on a license for a program I didn't really care for. And yeah, I'm kinda cheap. :D

The stock 2.1 e-mail application (non-sense) has an option to "Accept all SSL certificates" which solved my problem. I installed the stock 2.1 e-mail application found over at xda (I can provide a link or the apk if anyone is having trouble finding it). I turned on use secure credentials (Settings -> Security -> Use secure credentials), logged in to the outlook web app (the https://owa.xxx.com/exchange site) to accept the certificate, and then set up my exchange account using the new e-mail app. Using the manual setup, I entered in my user name and password, changed the server to the "owa.xxx.com" site, and check both "Use secure connection (SSL)" and "Accept all SSL certificates". My e-mail has been working ever since. I only use the e-mail, not I'm not sure if the calendar, tasks, notes, etc. sync or not. I'm pretty others have had issues with these...I just thought I'd post what finally worked for me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones