Activesync Push vs IntervalSupport

Last Updated:

1. Dewg

Dewg Member This Topic's Starter

I setup my corporate e-mail using Exchange Activesync. During the setup I told it to check for e-mail every 30 minutes. After it was setup, I confirmed that the account is set for polling every 30 minutes. However it keeps showing new e-mails live - like it's on Push.

Is this a known bug that will hopefully get fixed with 2.2? I want 30 minute polling for e-mail to save battery - push can drain frequently if I get alot of e-mail during the day.

Advertisement
  2. Dewg

For clarification - I'm referring to the "E-mail Check Frequency" setting. No matter what I put in there (5 mins, 10, 30, etc.) the e-mail is live (push).

Could this be linked to the Auto Sync setting under "Accounts and Sync"? That's enabled by default. Is that overriding the E-mail Check Frequency and forcing push for e-mail?

3. burningembers

burningembers Well-Known Member

Possibly. Does your Exchange server enforce settings in some manner that might be affecting this too?

Is Push really that resource intensive? I've never noticed a difference in battery life from 30-60 minute intervals to just leaving Push on.

4. Dewg

Our exchange environment doesn't lock any of those settings in. I just came from an iPhone and had the iPhone set for 30 minutes, and that's exactly what it did - check every 30 minutes.

As for battery life, I can only assume that Push has an impact on battery as every time an e-mail comes in the phone has to make a data connection transfer the data and then tear the connection down. With a 30 minute interval, it only needs to connect at 30 minutes, download a larger data block and then tear the connection down.

That being said - I don't have any other widgets or apps that are polling or downloading data in the background, so the data connection should be fairly quiet except for e-mail sync.

Edit: My experience on battery life is from the iPhone where having a 15 or 30 minute polling of e-mail vs push saved a decent amount of battery life (sometimes 20-25%), making the difference between lasting all day and having to charge when I get home from work.