Actual free app space on Incredible- out of the box?General

Last Updated:

1. rushmore

rushmore Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Is there 748mb free available storage for apps? I have seen a few screen shots, but reviews and reports seem to contradict. If 512mb rom, most out of box would be less than the 228mb free on Moto Droid, since Android 2.1 takes up more space, due to more pre-installed apps. My guess is there should be about 200mb free IF only a 512mb rom, or none of the flash is allocated.

Only other option would be if the rom is actually 1gb. Then the question would be where is the other 1.1 or so gigs of space on the "8gb built-in storage". Should be around 7.8gb free if 8gb is built in.

BTW, where IS the "missing" storage space, since 8gb built-in and only 6.6gb shows free?

Advertisement
  2. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

Formatted space is always alot smaller than unformatted. I know my 1.5tb hdd i have in my popcorn hour is only 1.3 formatted, thats a loss of over 200gb! The size of hdds is based on 1000 bytes per megabyte standard, not the 1024 per meg standard like the filesystems we use are based on.

3. SecretSexyNinja

SecretSexyNinja Well-Known Member

while that's true, the actual size of an 8gb internal drive should be approximately 7.45058 gb. In reality, we have a 6.6gb drive, with an additional loss of 850mb.

Where did the other 850mb go?

I think his question still stands. I'm pretty curious myself, as well.

4. rushmore

This is why I think the space for apps is allocated flash space, or is mapped wrong (perhaps both). No way 748mb free for app storage if a 512mb rom.

Why is it so hard for reviews to point this out and mention what is free out of the box? It would be nice if current owners would tell us.

5. Adamx

Adamx Well-Known Member

rom is onboard flash. rom used to stand for read only memory. Apparently today it just means 'onboard memory'. Well it's onboard isn't it? :)

There's no reason to make a distinction between rom and onboard flash imo.

6. rushmore

Correct about the normal description of ROM, but for Android devices, the ram is where the OS and apps play and the rom is where the OS and apps are stored. Exceptions being apps that also load data on the microsd card. Inc is the first device with built in flash and it appears both reviewers and perhaps HTC have not grasped the issue. Reviews do not explain it and the user manual does not explain anything.

7. Adamx

Adamx Well-Known Member

I'm telling you that the 'flash' and the rom are the same things on this. That's the only explanation that makes sense. Memory can be on the same chip and mapped differently for different uses. The 'rom' doesn't have to be some physically separate entity in order to be limited to 512 for apps. That's likely an OS limitation.

8. SecretSexyNinja

can anyone with the device confirm the amount of app space they do have? also, where would the other 850mb be hiding? are you saying part of that is the RAM?

9. rushmore

In this case, I probably agree with you, but I think that they have allocated the "missing" flash space as app storage and the entire 512mb rom as OS storage space. From an address and mapping standpoint, it is the only thing that makes sense ATM.

BTW, this would also explain why apps do not see the built in flash, since the apps probably see the space as framework storage. Even the 6.6gb.

10. mach1man

mach1man Well-Known Member

It has 748mb of free space out of the box. I know for a fact bc verizon messed up and sent mine way early.

11. rushmore

In that case my guess makes sense, since Inc has a 512mb rom. The rom is being used just for OS storage and some of the flash is allocated as app storage. Perhaps mapping both rom and flash space was a problem and easier to just allocate as it seems here.

12. SecretSexyNinja

well, that should be great for ROOTING, they should easily be able to expand that app space :D

13. rushmore

Probably 99.99999% correct, and no need to worry about apps messing up, since no microsd card to worry about having connection issues. Not to mention not worry on hot swapping cards :)

This issue alone, has sold me on the Incredible :) X 1,000

In regards to the 6.6gb only being available, but 8gb being stated as "built-in", Nokia did the same thing with my beloved N900. It has 32gb of flash built-in, but 2gb is taken by app allocation space. Actual free space is a little under 29gb on the N900.

Now, if Verizon / HTC could just fix the mapping of the remaining 6.6gb in Inc, since it would be nice to use this for apps that need to install data to external memory :) Game emulators need space for game roms space too :)

Microsd's could then be used just for media :)

14. MathewS81

MathewS81 Well-Known Member

15. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

Ok well heres the thing. RAM does not hold data when its not recieving power, it loses everything in memory once the +5v feed is cut off so the apps and os are definatley not stored there. ROM is read only memory, which means it can only be read and not written to, however it can be written to once in a while such as when flashing a new BIOS. FLASH memory on the other hand can hold the os and the apps, so its in fact FLASH memory and not ROM or RAM. The ROM is where the BIOS is held and thats all.

16. rushmore

Rom term is used loosely with phones and not read-only as the acronym is normally used. Yes, the ram is as described- nothing can be stored in it if powered off.

Update:

Ok, the reason there is still some "missing" space is because aound 1gb was allocated for apps, but pre-intalled apps take up some of that space already. 512mb "rom" is only for the OS. I guess it is easier to call it a "rom", since people understand that is where the OS and apps go and the ram is where they operate.