• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Actually went BACK to a Droid Bionic

chmodx

Android Enthusiast
Dec 31, 2010
...And I don't miss my Note 2 (yet). My bionic is more stable than the Note 2, if Samsung doesn't get it's stuff together they are going to be in trouble later on. The constant browser freezes that are plaguing to many, the battery life, so many things just not worth the headache with this phone.

I'm really just frustrated and wish Samsung was the same as it was a year ago, but instead they have just overgrown and put out too many devices. Too big to fail in it's prime. Sad, because they're a good company and this phone was great before these steps-back(updates). :rolleyes:

Really?

I have yet to see anyone with the problems you've mention on any forum or on google+.

I pay not attention to battery life threads because I think they're stupid.
People use these pocket sized computers as much or more than they use their PCs and they somehow expect them to last for days.

If they unplug their laptops and use them the way they use their phones, their laptops will be dead in a matter of hours. Why they expect their phones with large screens, multi-core processors, and multi tasking to behave differently with heavy usage is beyond me.

Reactions: Sgt Beefcake
Upvote 0
Really? You haven't heard anyone mention the browser hanging for about 8-9 seconds, then crashing to desktop? Numerous friends, even on different carriers all with same problem. I use my phone sparingly, and almost exclusively on wifi.

Why you assume my use of the phone in an incorrect way is beyond me and you obviously.

Upvote 0
Really? You haven't heard anyone mention the browser hanging for about 8-9 seconds, then crashing to desktop? Numerous friends, even on different carriers all with same problem. I use my phone sparingly, and almost exclusively on wifi.

Why you assume my use of the phone in an incorrect way is beyond me and you obviously.

I have not heard about this browser hanging thing, but I am on AT&T Note II. You sure it is not only on Verizon? I biggest problem I have with the Note II is the auto screen rotation not working once in a while, but I know that it was because of the multi windows OS update.

I use the browser a lot on my Note II and I have never seen it crashes.

Upvote 0
I have had a Note 2 since one week after Thanksgiving when it finally came to Verizon, and I have never had an issue I could not resolve. This has been the most powerful and stable phone experience I have ever had. I play games daily, spend about five hours of my day working on my phone professionally, and I still do not have to charge it until after midnight. I get over 19 hours of use on my phone daily, with about 7 hours or more of that time being actual app usage, and thirty minutes being phone usage.

I have a Verizon note 2, unrooted, and I disable the bloatware that verizon puts on it. That, and a clean install of Clean Master and Battery Doctor and Lookout for maitenance. I run 6.3 gigs of apps, and hit almost every one of them every day.

If someone thinks they can get Note 2 performance standards on a dual core ARM 1000MHz processor with 1 GB of RAM, powered by a 1735 MaH battery - they frankly are emotionally attached to an old phone, or do not know what they are doing. I have no inclination to insult anyone, it is just facts are facts, Electronic engineering is a Science, not a sentiment or branding. The note two is bigger and clocks faster in every way. The only possibilities of that happening is mechanical defect which is covered by warranty, physical damage to the unit, system invasion or corruption by malware (which anyone who knows what they are doing can detect and prevent), or it was screwed up in rooting or flashing a custom ROM: in short, Defect, damage, or user error. If you still had your note 2, and lived near philly, I'd say meet me, I'd pop the hood on it and you'd be suprised by the improvement.

I think browser hanging is actually one of the easiest things to solve on the phone. It has something to do with encoding on some international websites, and it is not limited to Samsung.

Option 1: Clear cache, uninstall updates, disable - turn off, then turn back on, enable browser, update.

Option 2: install Dolphin. It works really well on international websites.

I can optimize most phones, and the samsung experience seems intuitive to me - though I do not use multiple panes on my phone. I use a home screen and only build secondary pages when I need them (like making a games one for a road trip, or a page dedicated to a client.)

In fact, I can make TouchWiz work very well for me - especially with how nice it plays with Zooper Widgets. I also run Nova Prime tho - and have everything home, because well, why not?

Upvote 0
I actually have the browser issue where it will stall and then crash to the home screen. It happens on both my Note 2 and Note 10.1. HOWEVER, it is very seldom on my Note 2, but quite frequent on my Note 10.1. Eventually I turned to using Puffin and Opera for most of my browsing needs. They also seem more accurate in rendering the sites I visit daily (especially secured ones). I rarely touch the stock browser now. So problem solved.

I also had the rotation bug happen to me, but again, very seldom. Since I had the smart dock, I bought Ultimate Rotation Control (to force landscape when docked). Odd thing is I haven't seen this bug surface since (but maybe I got lucky or because I have forced rotation on). Another thing squished for the most part.

Now I suffer the dreaded '0' brightness bug (ie. no brightness). Big problem as this will actually require a reset to fix the issue in most cases and the phone will act like it is bricked. There are workarounds to try to 'fix' it without the need for a reset, but you need to know what triggered it in the first place. Most of the time it is an app that exposes this bug. So far there is no fix for this and an app can trigger this at any time. But I'm well prepared for it if it does happen.

Samsung did fix this '0' brightness bug in some firmwares, but not all of them. Figures I end up with a firmware that doesn't address this one. But again, I know what I am doing and can get it back and running in no time with minimal down time.

Even with these bugs, I find this to be a very stable phone. Hardly had any real issues with it (besides those stated above). But again, I found solutions for them and can work with them.

There is no perfect system regardless. Yes there are bugs, but that's expected. I don't think I ever ran into something that didn't have a bug. :p

Upvote 0
Battery life? I'm tempted not to take you serious after that comment. The Note 2 is widely heralded as top notch in the battery category. Reports from owners mirror that sentiment.

I use the browser a LOT (Sprint) and it occasionally hangs and crashes, but maybe like once or twice a week amongst many hours of browsing.

If these trivial issues are your primary concerns and enough to make you ditch the phone, I don't see how any phone would make you happy.

Enjoy your bionic. lol

Reactions: judak
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones