Ad Block Plus Now Available

1. Kamau

Kamau Well-Known Member

Advertisement
    :
  2. lexluthor

lexluthor Well-Known Member

Saw this earlier and I'm trying it out as a replacement to AdAway. Memory footprint is huge, compared to 0 with AdAway, but I've found AdAway blocks too much (shopping referral links) which is annoying sometimes.
    Kamau likes this.
  3. Kamau

Kamau Well-Known Member

Actually that'd great for my needs, as I don't do anymore shopping on line.
    But so far it's worked out pretty well.

BTW, how do you determine the the memory footprint on these things.
  4. lexluthor

lexluthor Well-Known Member

I mainly use system panel lite.
  5. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

Quick System Info Pro (free) will tell you a lot about apps.

Domain names (example, amazon.com) have to be translated into ip addresses to get to sites on the internet.

Your isp or carrier provides the name lookup service.

The network standard process, built in to all unix/Linux/Android, first looks in /etc/hosts (a text file) to see if the ip addresses are there. If so, it uses them, if not, it calls for the outside lookup service.

Root ad blockers simply take the list of known sites to block and list them in /etc/hosts (or an equivalent linked file on your device) with an address of nowhere.

The only memory they'll use will be for updates, and you can reduce that by setting it to manual updates only (don't bother, it's small).

Non-root apps are usually just that, an additional process.

If you know which sites you don't want blocked with a root ad blocker, you can edit the block out of the host file by putting a # sign at the beginning of the lines with the address you want, that turns the action into a harmless comment.

Hope this helps! :)
  6. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Well-Known Member

I saw that this morning. Doesn't seem to be as good as AdFree, which I've been using for years, so I don't see a reason to change.
    Kamau likes this.
  7. Kamau

Kamau Well-Known Member

Thanks. Both adfree and ad away are good apps, but for non-rooted users, they are really not much help.
    I did notice that ad block is quite the memory user. But until I root, it's the way to go.
  8. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Well-Known Member

I agree, if your phone isn't rooted you don't have a lot of options. I sometimes forget that since I haven't had a non rooted phone in 2 1/2 years.

My wife won't let me root her phones so this may be an option I try to get her to install.
  9. Kamau

Kamau Well-Known Member

Ok, I've tried it, and although it did get rid of most ads, it drank battery juice like I drink coffee. In other words, way too much. With it running, it also causes my phone to get hot, a lot faster than normal, and this was in an area where I normally don't have signal problems that give me battery use problems.
    Bottom line, it works for me, but at a price I'm not willing to pay.
    It has been uninstalled.
    pdl2mtl90 and EarlyMon like this.