Ad-hoc is better than native 3G HotspotGeneral

Last Updated:

1. Droid777

Droid777 Active Member This Topic's Starter

I macgyverd a way to stream movies to my vehicle via my PS3, it encompassed using my phone, a laptop and a router which was quite cumbersome. Therefore I sought an alternative way to connect my PS3 to internet which lead me to alternated the native 3g hotspot app so I could create an Access Point (a/k/a Infrastructure mode). This allowed me to connect devices my PS3 directly to internet, and cut out the router and laptop.

What I have noticed is the ad-hoc connection method is always faster than the 3G app, and the 3G app is always slower. Yet they are accessing the "outside" on the same connection.

Anyone have an explanation of why?

Anyone know a better infrastructure app for the DINC?

Advertisement
  2. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

You tried Wireless Tether?

3. Stupifier

Stupifier Well-Known Member

+1.....

Is this what you are trying to say? You just used the Wireless Tether app that comes with the phone (ever since 2.2 Froyo).

Or did you use the Wireless Tether app with the tweak to get it Tethering for free?

4. Droid777

I've used both and I was asking why the app that comes with the phone using froyo is slower than the wireless teather app for root users from the market.

5. Stupifier

Stupifier Well-Known Member

OHHH....now the question makes more sense....

Sorry, I'm not rooted and cannot answer for you. But at least now...the question is a bit clearer.

6. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

I'm still confused b/c you mentioned the native 3G Hotspot which is different from the Wireless Tether app for root users. And Wireless Tether isn't ad-hoc anymore, it's access point. I guess I'm just confused with the terms used and not sure exactly what configurations you have tried.

7. WormDoes

WormDoes Well-Known Member

Curious how you're using your PS3 to watch movies in your car? I have an Acura with a built in dash navigation system, which has a dvd player under the passenger seat, but it ONLY plays DVD's from Acura with a special coding (Navigation disc's) I would love to be able to use my in dash to watch movies or even play PS3 games. Sorry to get off topic but this has been bothering me since I bought the car 4 years ago.

8. Ruggar

Ruggar Well-Known Member

A 3G system must allow simultaneous use of speech and data services, and provide peak data rates of at least 200 kbit/s according to the IMT-2000 specification.

802.11g, is an amendment to the IEEE 802.11 specification that extended throughput to up to 54 Mbit/s using the same 2.4 GHz band as 802.11b.

===In short===
    It's the difference in throughput (the kbit/s and Mbit/s) that each stanadard is designed to support. 3g IS NOT the same thing as Wireless G a.ka. 802.11g. Wireless Tether (ad-hoc or access point mode) IS NOT the same as a 3G Hotspot. Apples and oranges baby. Apples and oranges.

9. answerman

answerman Well-Known Member

Ummm. I'm not even sure where to start here. Someone else please take over...

10. gruss

gruss Well-Known Member

Lol wait wut? Someone haz a confuz

11. Adamx

Adamx Well-Known Member

I have not tested 3g hotspot, but seems to work fine for me in general.

12. Droid777

I installed the October ROM update today and tested the data rates again. I found that after the update the slow down I experienced using the Wifi hotspot before the update was no longer there. NOW, The speed tests using either the hotspot or the wifi tether yield no noticeable difference.