• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help adb help

jr_mfn_p

Dec 1, 2009
ok i've looked and looked and i just can't wrap my mind around something. how do you access adb from recovery? or period for that matter. i'm really startin to feel simple. i'm not totally a noob though this would probably prove to the contrary. any help would be appreciated. the reason for my askin is that i read the instructions for gettin the 2.1 apps and part of the instructions involved usin this and for the life of me i can't figure it out

ok i've looked and looked and i just can't wrap my mind around something. how do you access adb from recovery? or period for that matter. i'm really startin to feel simple. i'm not totally a noob though this would probably prove to the contrary. any help would be appreciated. the reason for my askin is that i read the instructions for gettin the 2.1 apps and part of the instructions involved usin this and for the life of me i can't figure it out

Short answer: you don't access ADB from recovery, you access it through your PC

Longer answer: ADB is part of Androids SDK toolkit (download it here: Android SDK | Android Developers). It allows you to use the Command Prompt on your PC to manage files on your phone (must be rooted). There are terminal emulator apps on the market (free) like Connectbot (seems to be the most popular) that allow you to make these changes right from the phone itself instead of using ADB through your PC.

What are you trying to accomplish with ADB? You mention 'gettin the 2.1 apps' but could you be more specific?

If you are referring to accessing the private apps after flashing to 2.1, there are instructions for doing so over @ the SDX forums. You can use either ADB or Connectbot to accomplish what you need for that fix.

If you give me some more detailed info, I may be able to help you further.

Keep in mind that you may need a different set of USB drivers (and turn on USB Debugging from your phone) when using ADB... at least I did.

Upvote 0
aight well i don't feel like quite as big a jackass. yes i was talkin about the how to access protected apps over at sdk. i followed their tutorial to the letter and normally they're great but this time i keep gettin cp: cannot stat build.prop etc. now the post under it says to make sure build.prop is on the root of the memory stick, which mine is. i was usin connectbot and have used it to successfully remove the stock apps so i'm not totally unfamiliar with it. i just couldn't glean the solution from what the next post said. i must be missin somethin cause everyone else seems to not be havin a prob with it. i tried the droidexplorer way but those instructions lost me between steps 1 and 3. thanks for the timely post earlier hope maybe you can help me again.

Upvote 0
3. Place build.prop in root of sdcard (either adb push or connect usb)
4. Enter the following lines either from adb shell or terminal on phone:
Code: [Select]
$ su
# mount -t rfs -o remount,rw /dev/stl5 /system
# cd sdcard
# busybox cp -R build.prop /system
# mount -t rfs -o remount,ro /dev/stl5 /system
# sync
# reboot
5. Once phone is completed booting, enter "Date & time" settings and set time to 11:59pm. After time/date has changed to 12:00am (the next day), open Market and search for apps.
6. Open "Date & time" settings and reselect Automatic
7. Enjoy protected apps in the market

couple of things - i'm assuming you're doing this through connectbot, which i believe is fine.

i'm also guessing you're getting stuck on the busybox cp -R build.prop / system?

is the build.prop you downloaded on your sdcard? (not in any directory). make sure you're typing in the cp command in the same folder as where your downloaded build.prop is.

Upvote 0
yep usin connectbot which a couple posters said worked. have it on the root of my memory stick not in any type of folder. now typing the cp command in the same folder as where build.prop is? not sure that i follow. i noticed that you put a space between the / and system at the end and the instructions like so /system. is the space necessary?

Upvote 0
well tried with space and again without. seen a folder that said system on my memory stick so i put it in there tried it no dice. i'm about to just say the hell with it i guess. i've followed the instructions to the letter and keep gettin the same error every time.

haha, sorry, there shouldn't be a space.

you remounted as read-write, correct? where is your busybox located at? what "root" are you using?

Upvote 0
usin joey v5 root, no idea where my busybox is at, usin connect bot and doin everything by the numbers. like i say i just keep gettin that damn error everytime. as far as i know i've remounted as read write that's the first code in the sequence right?

it's the command right after the "su" command - yes.

busybox should be in your sbin folder. you're typing in things case-sensitive, right?

another thing: when you type in "cd sdcard" - type in "ls -l" and see if your build.prop is located in there.

Upvote 0
when i typed in cd sdcard ls -l thats the response i got. should i have hit enter after cd sdcard then run that or was it all one line cause thats how i ran it. here's how i placed the file. connected usb, mounted, went to c:, clicked on removable disk, then that pops up my memory card stuff and i put it right there. not in any folder. same place as the v5 root zip and my rom folders, music folder, system and data backup i made in recovery etc.

when i downloaded it it was already named build.prop

Upvote 0
when i typed in cd sdcard ls -l thats the response i got. should i have hit enter after cd sdcard then run that or was it all one line cause thats how i ran it. here's how i placed the file. connected usb, mounted, went to c:, clicked on removable disk, then that pops up my memory card stuff and i put it right there. not in any folder. same place as the v5 root zip and my rom folders, music folder, system and data backup i made in recovery etc.

when i downloaded it it was already named build.prop

two lines:

1. cd sdcard
2. ls -l

trying to figure out why it's not identifying your cp feature...

Upvote 0
well that was neat and helpful i see it it's on there as build.prop.txt. is the .txt the problem you think?

well at any rate it's there

haha, yup, there you go... it needs to be build.prop

no txt extension... mount it to your computer, and remove the txt extension if you can.

edit: if you're using windows - open up the window --> tools > folder options > view > make sure "hide known extensions" is unclicked and then just take out the .txt

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones