ADB....How do I use it?

Last Updated:

1. agemme27

agemme27 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I want to start trying out custom roms but before I do that I need to learn how to backup my current settings. In order to do that, from what i understand, I need to learn how to use the ADB. I am using Linux and I downloaded the SDK, but I cannot figure out how to open the ADB. HELP!!!!

Advertisement
  2. droidpcguru

droidpcguru Well-Known Member

I'm sure you will get flamed with the "Search" saying..

I'll suggest this though.. there needs to be a sticky, or maybe another site dedicated to having all the info needed to learn how to root and all things related.. all info in one spot instead of spread everywhere..

3. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

I'm not too fluent in Linux, but here's my best guess at where you're running into a snag:

1. Make sure you have 'USB Debugging' enabled on your Droid. This is under Settings, Applications.

2. In your Linux terminal, make sure you navigate to the 'Tools' folder in the Android SDK, or where you extracted 'adb' to (by default it is located in the Tools folder).

Then, you should be able to follow whatever guide for the rest of the steps.

4. shademar

shademar Well-Known Member

Check out rootyourdroid.info for a step-by-step walkthrough with pics.

edit: my bad, didn't catch the linux part!

5. agemme27

Yeah, I know. I went to rootyourdroid and that seems to be the best all in one website. The problem is when you go to the "full system backup using nandroid" page it tells you to be familiar with sprecovery. When you click on that link it tells you that you should be familiar with the Android debug bridge. when you go to that page it gives you directions for windows only. I am using linux and cant figure it out.

6. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

Should be the same idea for Linux. Just replace cmd with terminal.

You don't even have to download the Moto drivers, which is a plus.

Just make sure you know where you placed your 'adb' file.

7. Swizz

Swizz Well-Known Member

Navigate to the folder containing adb, which you should have downloaded from the Android SDK, in a terminal. From the terminal display the contents of the directory, just to make sure adb is listed. After that type 'adb' and it should return a semi lengthy list of possible adb commands. If that works, type 'adb devices' and that should display all Android devices that are connected to the computer and have debugging enabled.

Play around, if you come across anything that could be useful for other people in your place feel free to contribute

:)

Edit: You're Linux. './adb'

8. agemme27

GOT IT!!!! thanks everyone. just loaded bugless beast. Wow!! who cares about 2.1 now? ok, i'm still waiting for official 2.1, but this custom rom thing is still pretty cool