• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root adb shell - error: device not found

I've seen different posts about this, but none for the captivate, and none in the past month, so...

Last night I rooted my captivate using the stickied thread in this forum. Worked great! Simple, and not much to it. I have the Superuser Permissions app in my app list.

This morning I installed the android sdk and the drivers from the samsung website, enabled usb debugging on my phone, connected the phone, and did the following in my cmd prompt:

C:\android-sdk-windows\tools>adb shell

(yes, that is the correct location of the android sdk folder)

...but all i'm getting is 'error: device not found'.

I tried uninstalling my drivers and doing it again, this time connected to a different USB port, and still the same thing.

Anyone have any insights? I'm able to successfully connect my phone to my machine and view it like a storage device (drag folders around, etc).

Thanks for your quick reply!

But, I got the same thing. I did notice when I plug it in I get a notification (windows xp) that says:

"A problem occurred during hardware installation. Your new hardware might not work properly."

And I only get that message when I plug my phone in while USB debugging is on.

I've also read that people say to plug the phone in with USB debugging off, then once it's plugged in turn it on, however I'm unable to do this (I get a pop up on my phone that says "Attention USB is connected. Remove the cable").

Upvote 0
Thanks for your quick reply!

But, I got the same thing. I did notice when I plug it in I get a notification (windows xp) that says:

"A problem occurred during hardware installation. Your new hardware might not work properly."

And I only get that message when I plug my phone in while USB debugging is on.

I've also read that people say to plug the phone in with USB debugging off, then once it's plugged in turn it on, however I'm unable to do this (I get a pop up on my phone that says "Attention USB is connected. Remove the cable").

Did you install both drivers from the stickied USB thread? That's what fixed everything for me.

Upvote 0
Bah, I tried all of your suggestions above, and still get device not found. I uninstalled the drivers and installed the ones at the top of the stickied thread, but noticed something a bit strange. I downloaded USBDeview and saw my devices (listed below), but only one of them says it's connected (again, USB Debugging is checked):

SAMSUNG_Android
SAMSUNG SGH-I897 Card USB Device
Communication
Connected = Yes

SAMSUNG_Android
CDC Abstract Control Model (ACM)
Communication
Connected = No

SAMSUNG_Android
USB Mass Storage Device
Mass Storage
Connected = No

SAMSUNG_Android
S3C6410 Android ADB
Vendor Specific
Connected = No

Also, I installed BusyBox and have the latest version...but how do you 'run' it? You mean just have the application open when I connect the phone to the machine? I did see that there's a green dot in the superuser permissions app next to it, so does that mean it's running?

Again, thanks for your help.

Upvote 0
Okay, so just to kind of close this thread and to hopefully make other peoples lives easier if they're having the same troubles, I finally got this working. How, you may ask? Well, I've read it before on these forums, but I didn't want to believe it. All I did was just kept uninstalling and re-installing the Samsung drivers, and eventually it worked. Didn't do anything else.

So...if you're having the same troubles as me...keep un/re-installing the drivers, and it should work eventually. :)

Upvote 0
I am in the process of rooting and Im getting the same thing. Wh I turn my phone on it shows google with a lock at the bottom. Loads up in the storage setting, I have not mounted it and while typing adb shell i get the same error. I have not been able to complete the rooting process and now my phone is locked at this screen

Upvote 0
I have a captivate and an intel iMac. What worked for me was to plug the USB cable into the back of the computer instead of the keyboard. It didn't like the keyboard port for some reason. At the same time I removed my Flip Mino (so maybe a conflict, but I think it was the Keyboard port, not everything likes being plugged in there).

Eric

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones