• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help ADB, Why and How i use it?

PFKaKRL

Sep 27, 2010
First of all i have to say that i am just an ordinary (casual) user I have no connection with developers of Galaxo/GAOSP. I just want to share my casual knowledge with friends.

I used this topic to get adb work with my Ubuntu GNU/Linux Box)

adb is "Android Developer Bridge" with using it you can access to your phones some features. Like: shell (terminal/command line), install programs, (if you have a rooted phone) play with the /data partition, push & pull files, etc..

so what i do?
I use Dropbox regularly, i have got 2 accounts one is for work and the other is for personal use. I have got a limited DSL connection on my GNU/Linux box which i have to use for connecting to my work VPN (they allow only fixed ip to connect to VPN server) just because it is a limited (4 Gb upload & download quota) i can't download large files with my pc.. So i use my Phones 3G connection to do things like that.

I ssh to my SeedBox located somewhere in North Europe and move the finished files to my dropbox folder in that machine, after finishing the upload to Dropbox servers i just adb to my phone and write "adb shell" then "cd /sdcard" and write down "wget http://dl.dropbox.com/myclientidhere/filesnameblablahere.extension" and it starts to download the file. When it finishes the download i just write "adb pull /sdcard/filesnameblablahere.extension /home/myusername/SeedBoxDownloads/" and it pulls the data from the phone.

Yes it is a bit strange to tell all these but i do and use it like this. :)

anything else?
yes i use ddms (Dalvik Debug Manager | i don't know why "s" is there) to take screen captures from my device and check what it is doing. It's state etc..

Also i didn't want the advanced launcher which is coming with Galaxo 1.6.4 and i removed it with adb shell..

If anyone thinks that this is a good topic or will have questions about adb i may try to answer or add things here as an ordinary user..

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones