add "gtalk" icon to contact?

Last Updated:

1. teknomedic

teknomedic Active Member This Topic's Starter

Figured I'd ask one more odd question...

Is there a setting or app that would allow me to add a "gtalk" icon to a contact so that when I select a contact I would get the option to directly "talk/chat" with them via "Gtalk"?

Currently, when I select a contact I get the following icons:
    "phone or call", "edit info", and "Instant Message"

I'd like to add to that list the "Gtalk" option.

Thanks for any tips,
    TK.

Advertisement
  2. vandyblackandgold

vandyblackandgold Well-Known Member

i thought i remember seeing somewhere on my phone, that if I was logged into talk/chat and someone else was online, i was seeing the "green dot" to let me know they were available. i know this is kind of vague, but be on the lookout for it. i dont stay logged into chat on my phone, so it was kind of random one day when i was using it. hope that helps a little.

3. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Well-Known Member

I swear it was there at one point. I really think it was (or I'm nuts), I use it rarely for a few people and am always signed in and do think it showed. The contact did have a green indicator and GTalk as an option. I just looked though and it's not there...but I swear it was!! :confused:
    Maybe it only shows when the other person is on, none of my peeps are right now...but 2 are idle and I am not seeing the yellow/orange indicator either. Hmmm

4. G.Armour

G.Armour You know you want to. VIP Member

Yeah it used to show, but I just checked on my contact list and it ain't there anymore. I'm running froyo leak and wondering if that might have been a feature I noticed on eclair. I dunno

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

5. ejchis

ejchis Well-Known Member

I would love this kind of streamlined functionality too. I just tried adding an IM account to a contact, selecting google talk, and putting the person's gmail account in there, but all that did was show an IM account in the contact's information. It wouldn't link me to google talk, which seems kind of silly being that google talk is native on these devices.

6. Clementine_3

K
    I'm stock 2.1, I don't know when it disappeared though...with the update or mysteriously after.

7. G.Armour

G.Armour You know you want to. VIP Member

Ok -update- so now that the people on my gmail list are starting to wake up, the green dot is back on mine. It only shows when they are online though.
    But since I just flashed this new rom onto my phone, all my contacts have not logged on yet, but with the one I just checked, after he logged on and then off, you can press on the contact and inside has the option to chat. I don't think it shows them off anymore or while they are in standby.
    Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

8. b3nder

b3nder Active Member

gchat option shows up for people that are online and as long as you are signed into gchat.

doesn't matter if they are set to 'away' mode or not..
    running bugless beast v0.2.1

9. Clementine_3

Well, something is odd...I just checked again and my dots are back and so is the little 'talk' option. They were not there this morning when I checked but are back now.

10. eric16l

eric16l Active Member

I have not seen this issue in either 2.1 or rooted 2.2 (NexBeast or SimplyStunning ROMs). I have a shortcut two 2 of my contacts right on my home screen. When I press them, I have options to E-Mail, Text, Call, Google Voice, Google Talk, etc.
    If the contact you are referring to is NOT online with Gtalk, that will not be an option. Further, if YOU are signed out of Gtalk, the option will not be there either. It is dynamic depending on yours/their online status.

Do you have your Gtalk go to 'away' when the device goes to sleep. It is possible that when you come out of sleep, you do not go instantly back online and maybe that is causing your issue. Try going into Gtalk settings and change the 'set to away when device goes to sleep' option.

Good luck!

11. teknomedic

I'm not sure what's up with my Droid settings then. I use Gtalk to chat with my wife and I'm logged in and she's showing green in Gtalk... but when I click on her contact info I don't see anything that would allow me to directly chat with her.

I'm using 2.1 if that matters at all.

Just so we're on the same page...

I click on my regular "contacts" icon and then select my wife's picture... the only options that appear are "Call", "edit", and "text". I've never once seen a green dot or Gtalk option.

I'm NOT talking about my contact list in the Gtalk program, but adding a "gtalk icon" to a person in my regular phone contact list.

12. eric16l

eric16l Active Member

Ok... Simple question. When you go into your contacts, click on your wife's name (not the picture). This will take you into her contact. Do you have GTalk linked to her? In the contact, after phone numbers and E-Mails, you will have a MORE button. Below that is IM. If you don't have anything linked for her, click on the + sign and add Google Talk and her Google E-Mail address.

The other way you can see if her GoogleTalk contact is linked to the proper contact is to go into GTalk. Long Press on her name inside GTalk (main window with all of your GoogleTalk contacts. Long pressing will bring up a menu. Click on View Contact. If that doesn't take you to the proper contact, then you dont have her GoogleTalk linked to that contact in your address book.

Hope that helps.
    That is the only thing I can think of that you are missing.

teknomedic likes this.
  13. teknomedic

OMG, that was it!! Thank you a ton!