• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Add keyboard language?

Lemming

Lurker
Apr 16, 2010
Hi all,

I just received my HTC Desire, which is great. My main problem with it so far is that the keyboard only supports English and French, and I need to write in Spanish. I've seen other people saying theirs additionally supports Spanish and Italian - is there any way I could add those languages? I only seem to have English and French locales, can I install new locales? I realise there are a number of third party keyboards, but I really like the default one.

Cheers,
Colin

So I opened a ticket with HTC about this, to their credit they responded pretty quickly. However they told me that the phone is locked to France, even though I bought it from the Spanish portal of eXpansys. I'll be chasing eXpansis to see what's up with that. But in the meantime, is there anything I can do about this? Can I un-region-lock the phone? I specifically paid a lot of money to get an unlocked phone, this seems pretty crap to me. Assuming I can unlock it, can I install new language packs? Could I flash the phone with a Spanish ROM?

Sorry if these are newbie questions, this is my first Android phone.

Thanks for any help,
Colin

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones