• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Add storage to a phone without an SD Card slot using an app?

dorlow

Android Enthusiast
Jan 2, 2014
I have a Motorola Droid Turbo phone. I'm always running out of storage. It does have the option of plugging a flash drive in the bottom, but it can't stay plugged in. I have tried wireless flash drives, but it worked bad. It worked on wifi. I wonder why they haven't made bluetooth flash drives. But, what would be most convenient is to just have an app that gives me more storage. I know all the dropbox but those you have to open the app, then upload them, then delete the files. I would like a way to just mount a cloud filesystem to the phone so the phone just thinks it's internal storage and the app takes care of uploading and downloading it from the cloud. Is there any such app?

Autosync for Google Drive (free) lets you sync a folder with a (free) Google Drive cloud storage account. You can choose the option to sync up to the cloud and then delete from the phone. You could still access the uploaded cloud files from a Google Drive app (or from within an app like ES File Explorer). Autosync has several sync options, including whether or not you want to sync over WiFi-only or also via mobile data. The free version of the app lets you sync one folder from your phone. The pro version of the app lets you sync multiple folders.

FYI: I put this app on my (senior citizen) parents' phones because moving a photo from their phone to their PC is too complicated for them. So I also put Google Drive on their PC and now whenever they take a picture, it just ends up in a folder on the desktop of their PC (and of course, on their Google Drive cloud). They can never remember how to send me pictures from their phone, but since I have access to their Google Drive account, they can just take a photo and I can instantly see it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones